PDA

View Full Version : GBTA turned brown with white tips.

Pezbot
04/11/2016, 02:53 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here and seeking some help/advice. I'm 5 months into having the tank up and running the hobby with green bubble tip anemone that has been giving me concerns for the past week.

General Info:
75 Gallon Tank
5 months Up and Running
2 1500 powerheads
80 pounds live rock in display
Reef Octopus skimmer good up to 220g
34 gallon emerald sump - trigger systems
Refugium with fiji mud & chaeto

He looked green and open for the first month and a week. I've had no problems but really never accepting food, just let it drop out. I've only tried krill and was going to try to do silversides. I read that this can be normal for it and it will find its place in the tank and things will settle.

Throughout that month I've watched it ball up and spread out throughout the day. For the last week it has slowly been balling up and to be honest kind of looked like its been splitting. It has changed its color from green to brown with white tips. I've also noticed what looks like white "scratches" on the interior of it, I didn't know if this was from starting to split or what. For the last 2 days its been for the most part balled up and appears to be shriveled (no changes throughout the day).

I test my water every other day for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, and PH. I check calcium about once a week. I currently only have a clean up crew, a blue tang, a yellow headed goby, and this anemone.

I use an R/O buddy to make my water and do 25% water changes every week. I have yet to dose because my calcium level tells me calcium levels are good (this part worrys me). I do not currently have an alkalinity tester.

My levels have been for the most part 0ppm/undetectable until today I tested and I'm seeing what looks to be a .75ppm - 1ppm ammonia level.

I do not currently feed my tank because both of my fish eat the hair algae in the tank so its not a case of over feeding. I'm concerned my anemone may be dying (I hear this happens from the inside out). I've also heard that brown is a healthy color and white is an unhealthy color, it has both!:uhoh3:

I know this is a lot of information but I just want to get it right and fix the problem.

Here is a picture. (Yes that is white, not green)