PDA

View Full Version : cleaning filter sponge

AquaAdam
04/11/2016, 09:32 PM
Hey everyone, I've got a black filter sponge as part of my filtration for my sump. I usually change out the wool filter every other day but I've heard mixed things on changing or cleaning the black sponge so just wanted to know what other peoples thoughts were.

Xxero
04/11/2016, 10:12 PM
Your bio-filtration will be in your rocks and sandbed (if you have one). The black sponge will cake up eventually, and it could cause no-flow issues down the line. The black sponges are also known to be detritus traps, which equals Nitrate accumulation.

If it were me, I would clean it routinely. As I said, your good bacteria will be on your rocks, etc. GL! :bigeyes:

AquaAdam
04/11/2016, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the reply xxero. I didn't think about the fact that they would be detritus traps. I'd like to clean it but not sure the proper way to go about it. I've heard just squeeze it in dirty water during the water change or just rinse it under tap water.

Xxero
04/12/2016, 12:34 AM
I have an un-drilled tank, so I use a HOB overflow box. There is a black, pre-filter sponge in this box that requires frequent rinsing due to the accumulation of uneaten food bits, fish poop, etc.

I just rinse it thoroughly under tap water, and then soak it in a bowl of RO/DI water real quick. You could probably even skip the RO/DI soak, but it makes me feel a little better. :bigeyes:

cincyjim
04/12/2016, 05:08 AM
I have an un-drilled tank, so I use a HOB overflow box. There is a black, pre-filter sponge in this box that requires frequent rinsing due to the accumulation of uneaten food bits, fish poop, etc.

I just rinse it thoroughly under tap water, and then soak it in a bowl of RO/DI water real quick. You could probably even skip the RO/DI soak, but it makes me feel a little better. :bigeyes:

I have this same set up. I have two sets of the pre-filter sponges that I change out each evening. It's amazing how much stuff they collect. I use these to prolong my sock filter change out.

billdogg
04/12/2016, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't waste the rodi water. Just squish it under running tap water until it runs clear, squeeze out the excess water and use it.

AquaAdam
04/12/2016, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys I will be cleaning it tonight!

jgraz
04/12/2016, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't waste the rodi water. Just squish it under running tap water until it runs clear, squeeze out the excess water and use it.

Skip the running tap water and give it a squeeze or two in the old water after a water change that way you can put it right back in withno worries about chlorine. Further they only become a detritus trap if you allow them to, and in contrary to what was said earlier they will indeed have the bacteria to aid in the cycle just like every other surface in the system. I ran an extremely successful mixed reef for about 2 years (before I upgraded) in a 44g Pentagon using a Aquaclear 110 HOB filter with the sponge and a Red Sea Prism skimmer. The sponge was teeming with pods at every water change. just keep up with the husbandry and you will be just fine.

cloak
04/12/2016, 10:13 AM
I would just loose the mechanical filtration altogether and go natural so to say. When you really stir things up during a water change, then incorporate the sponge/wool filter for a few hours to polish the water. You'll probably remove more crap this way than the sponge would have all week. GL.

Balix
04/12/2016, 03:09 PM
If you have a high pressure hose or go to a self car wash, hit it hard

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

coxreefer
06/19/2016, 03:49 PM
if it's a black coarse sponge very porous you can through it in the washing machine no soap, and a cap of vinegar and extra rinse cycle, and let air dry, I do this and the sponge is like brand new again.