PDA

View Full Version : Low Mag make acans mad???

steallife904
04/12/2016, 11:37 AM
over the last 3 or so weeks it seems like my acans where not as extended as usual. they have been in the tank for awhile with no issue and the get fed. So I have been testing calc, Alk, doing water changes. Couldn't really figure out whats going on.... they are not dieing or anything just defiantly not as happy as they have been. Well last night I decide to check the magnesium level and it was low, it was around 1000. During the last few months I have added a bunch of frags and some of the other corals in my tank have started to take off in growth, I wonder if I hit a point where magnesium is being consumed more. But could this be the issue with the acans??? everything else looks good.

Alk was 7dkh, calc was 420, mag 1000. I am planning to start dosing soon, I have a doser on hand ready to go but have been trying to get levels right before I start. want to keep ALK around 8 and calc around 450. im guessing mag should be around 1350 to 1400 so now need to factor it in.

JohnnyHildo
04/12/2016, 12:58 PM
low mag makes every coral mad eventually.
when the levels are too low it inhibits coral from processing alk and calcium meaning you will slowly lose everything.
it's easy to raise the levels via dosing manually and testing periodically so get on it! :)

steallife904
04/12/2016, 01:29 PM
Ya im on it :)... odd that out of all the corals, sps included the only thing showing an issue right now is acans.

organism
04/14/2016, 12:14 PM
Alk was 7dkh, calc was 420, mag 1000. I am planning to start dosing soon, I have a doser on hand ready to go but have been trying to get levels right before I start. want to keep ALK around 8 and calc around 450. im guessing mag should be around 1350 to 1400 so now need to factor it in.

Before you start dosing your levels already need to be spot on. If your magnesium is at 1000 you need to get a supplement and raise it 100ppm every day for 4 days until you're at 1400. Starting today preferably. Some corals don't recover, so you might fix the issue and they'll still be gone in a few weeks because you took too long to get to it.

steallife904
04/15/2016, 07:46 AM
I have been over the last 2 days bringing the mag up. only touching mag right now to see if or what affect it has on the calc and alk level.

The one acan I had that really looked the worse I decided to pull out and dip in coral rx.... well once I got it out I noticed a dead spot on the back of it and once dipped I noticed it had what looked like large piece of sand/shell stuck in this spot.... is it possible a piece of shell from sand cut into it and slowly killed this spot away and cause it to start going down hill???? this was really the only one that looked bad like this, I have 2 others that are fine just didn't seem as plump as they once did but at least 5 others that are perfect....