PDA

View Full Version : How much UV is too much?

mgraf
04/12/2016, 06:27 PM
I have a couple Non programmable Chinese Led fixtures.currently, for sunrise/sunset I have just had one led kick on, then a half hour later the other. I bought a 44" led strip from 21 LEDs. These strips have a programmable controller so that I can ramp them up or down for a sunrise/sunset effect.
The strip has 21 445nm blue, and 21 423nm UV 3 watt Bridgelux LEDs. I am only planning on ramping the blues up to about 50 percent until the black boxes come on but, I really don't know about the UV LEDs. Can I burn things up with too much UV? Is there a set amount of time I should only run them? Should I run them when the black boxes are on? Too much looks weird but it adds real nice pop and color at 15 percent. Too much? Not enough? Pretty much, any info on UV lighting and corals would be appreciated.

Thank you.

ncaldwell
04/12/2016, 07:11 PM
I have rations and I've always kept the UV LEDs up pretty high with no issues. No science backing me but I have a full fixed reef with the UV at 80% and no problems after 6 months

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

theatrus
04/12/2016, 08:08 PM
420 is not UV, its squarely violet. Your eyes are not very sensitive to it (it appears very dim compared to other light sources), but its a lot of energy still. I don't think you'll have a problem running it 1:1 with 450nm blues.

mgraf
04/13/2016, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it does seem violet. It really adds some "pop", even at 15 percent. Still planning on starting at lower percentages and working up. I fried a tank full of corals once with LEDs and it has always left me a bit cautious since.