PDA

View Full Version : Need quick advise!

FishN00b83
04/13/2016, 08:37 AM
So I have a 180g reef tank that currently has ich that came in from a hammer coral. I tried the hypo route, but as I was raising the sg, I notice the PBT started showing spots.

I am looking to let the DT sit fallow for 13 weeks so I need to temporarily house 4 tangs, a clown, and a six line in a tank. I only have 2 5gs, a 10g and about 10 5g buckets, so clearly I need to buy something to hold everything. I am trying to locate a 100g rubbermade stock tank, but I cant find ANYTHING in my area. The only other thing I can get quickly is a 4', 55g tank. I have a YT, PBT, Kole, and a Lavender tang. The YT is about 4", PBT is about 5", Lavender is 3-4" and the Kole is 3".

Can I keep these guys in a 55g TEMPORARILY while my tank is fallow? I know it's not ideal at all, but I'm really in a jam and I want to get rid of this ASAP. Any information would be appreciated...Thank you!

krullshards
04/13/2016, 08:59 AM
I think you are going to get all kinds of advice.. I personally think that you have to do what you have to do. As long as you can keep the water quality good... I've rarely seen an LFS have huge tanks with one or two fish in them and the fish sit in these types of tanks for a while sometimes. In this case you are treating them temporarily, I'm not sure what else you can do really.

Man, the worst case was when I went to this fish store in Maryland. They had a fully grown adult Hippo in this TINY tank. Poor guy was sitting in there vertically. I felt pretty bad for it.

FishN00b83
04/13/2016, 09:17 AM
I feel bad on multiple levels right now, but I just need to get over this hump and move on. I was stupid for putting the hammer in there. I actually get mad every time i look at the tank. I did TTM on everything in there and made sure all fish were healthy before they touched the DT. I decide to toss a big hammer coral in and get bit in the ***.

I now have a frag tank setup so that wont be happening again. I just need to get these fish out and let the DT run its course.

What really sucks is I'm having a HUGE house warming/new baby/memorial day party next month and I really wanted the tank to be perfect, but now it's going to be in shambles...I'm really upset/****ed and just want this to go away already.

pfan151
04/13/2016, 10:04 AM
I'd check craigslist to see if you can find a cheap 75 or 90 gal. I looked up the Long Island Craigslist and there were some that seemed like they'd work for what you want for around $200

FishN00b83
04/14/2016, 11:44 AM
200 is about double what I can spend right now. the 100g stock tank was about my max budget, but I couldn't locate one. I wound up buying the 55g but I am trying to come up with a way to make these tangs deal with each other. I am buying a bunch of extra large pvc elbows and pipes for them to hide in, what else can I do? I know aggression is going to be an issue, but i dont have a lot of options. Obviously I don't want to lose fish, or I wouldnt be going through all this right now. Does anyone have any suggestions to ease aggression? Should I put a mirror up day one? Should I just keep the tank on the darker side?

pfan151
04/14/2016, 12:00 PM
Maybe use some egg rate to divide the tank in two if there are any problems? Then at least you could keep the two most aggressive separated.

FishN00b83
04/14/2016, 12:12 PM
Maybe use some egg rate to divide the tank in two if there are any problems? Then at least you could keep the two most aggressive separated.

Yeah I just read some where else to try that. I just hope the tangs have enough room to swim. I bought the 4' tank so they had SOME swim room, putting the aggcrate in the middle would defeat that purpose but I'll see what happens. Im going to try them all with the PVC first and if it gets crazy the eggcrate will be next.

I had the PBT and another tang in a 10g for 8 weeks, but they were VERY small at the time.

jbvdhp
04/14/2016, 12:44 PM
Have you tried your local Walmart and target? Sterilite bins work well, and are only $20. I have two that are about 4' long for temp move soon.

Sent using your IP address

FishN00b83
04/15/2016, 06:36 AM
Have you tried your local Walmart and target? Sterilite bins work well, and are only $20. I have two that are about 4' long for temp move soon.

Sent using your IP address

My wife actually thought of this last night. I have 2 in TTM right now and will go in the 55g on the 26th. I will see how introducing the 2 go and take it from there.