PDA

View Full Version : Tank transfer without enough heaters for new water? Only CUC in tank

Rakie
04/13/2016, 07:06 PM
Looking to swap my Rock & Sand from a 12g into a 24g.

The problem is I only have enough buckets to make 2x5g at a time (buckets), and I only have one 50w Heater/pH to mix water.. So I either have to do 1 bucket at a time and hope for the best, or buy a **** ton more equipment I don't want to buy.

The only living things in my aquarium are a metric ton of micro brittle stars, and my all snail CUC which just arrived today.

Honestly my room temp is about 70*f -- Will that shock the snails and kill off any of my Biofilter, or is this not really an issue?

Sk8r
04/13/2016, 07:56 PM
It's ok to heat salt water in the microwave to adjust it. Just don't heat all of it. A cup of really warm water stirred in, then measure temp, heat another cup, etc. And don't do it with fish in the tank!

Rakie
04/13/2016, 08:10 PM
1) My tank is cycled, but no fish, only snail CUC (Reef Cleaners just told me snails would be fine if they had a little cold water dip.. Maybe not as thrilled, but not shocked/killed.

2) I never would have thought of that... Thank you, it really saves some headache / stress.

It's ok to heat salt water in the microwave to adjust it. Just don't heat all of it. A cup of really warm water stirred in, then measure temp, heat another cup, etc. And don't do it with fish in the tank!

CarrieB
04/14/2016, 03:45 AM
Having one back up heater might be a good idea anyway. Heaters do fail eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakie
04/14/2016, 10:42 AM
Having one back up heater might be a good idea anyway. Heaters do fail eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, that's what I meant -- I have one backup 50w heater, and the 100w in my DT

pfan151
04/14/2016, 10:59 AM
Why not just bag up your clean up crew, fill the new tank, and let temp stabilize? Then just acclimate them like normal?

Rakie
04/14/2016, 11:08 AM
Why not just bag up your clean up crew, fill the new tank, and let temp stabilize? Then just acclimate them like normal?

Also a good idea! I just don't think I'll be able to find them all, as about half of them hit the sand right away and the other half are deep in the rock work. I'd guess I'll be able to easily find half or less.