PDA

View Full Version : We have cracked glass

spscrackhead
04/14/2016, 10:22 AM
Hey guys,
So today I found some cracked glass on my redsea s650. It is on the back wall of the ATO section of the tank. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on a repair? Would adding a small square of glass and siliconing it into place be best? Just adding a bunch of silicone? What do you guys think? I have not leak tested it yet.
I have spoken with redsea about it and theyvsaid safest bet would be to not use the ATO at all. Well i would like to try and repair it and use that feature.
I will attempt to upload photos later.

spscrackhead
04/14/2016, 10:34 AM
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah170/nokernicknokare/Mobile%20Uploads/Message_1460649064305_zps0a49xw4v.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/nokernicknokare/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Message_1460649064305_zps0a49xw4v.jpg.html)

spscrackhead
04/14/2016, 10:37 AM
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah170/nokernicknokare/Mobile%20Uploads/Message_1460649096487_zps9c6ug5ep.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/nokernicknokare/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Message_1460649096487_zps9c6ug5ep.jpg.html)

ThisGuy12
04/14/2016, 12:43 PM
Looks like it is chipped, can't tell where (if any) the crack occurs though.

If it's chipped then I don't know what to tell you the integrity is lost. I guess you could try loading up the corner with silicone but not sure how long it will (or if it will) hold.

TONY_C
04/14/2016, 01:04 PM
So if I am correct, that is the ATO section that holds about 10 gallons of water. I'd at least try it and see if it leaks. From the pics I can't tell if the seal is gone or not.

davehead86
04/14/2016, 01:11 PM
I had a few chips on my 20 gallon tank.
I went out and got epoxy that was specifically designed for glass adhesion and joining. Much stronger than silicone, i trust it on my tank, maybe it would work for your application.

spscrackhead
04/14/2016, 01:16 PM
So if I am correct, that is the ATO section that holds about 10 gallons of water. I'd at least try it and see if it leaks. From the pics I can't tell if the seal is gone or not.

Yes the 11 or so gallon ATO section in the back of the aquarium.
Right now I am leaning towards adding a 2"x2" 3/8" thick (the thickest local glass guys seem to be able to cut around me) in the corner where the chip is and siliconing the crap out of the thing. I wont see it so....
But just for the warm and fuzzy feeling it will give me. I just wanted some input, see what others thought.
I am about to order some rvt 103.

spscrackhead
04/14/2016, 01:16 PM
I had a few chips on my 20 gallon tank.
I went out and got epoxy that was specifically designed for glass adhesion and joining. Much stronger than silicone, i trust it on my tank, maybe it would work for your application.
Do you have a link or any other information? I would greatly appreciate it.

TONY_C
04/14/2016, 01:28 PM
Maybe this would work: get a piece of glass that is slightly smaller than the inside dimensions of the ATO chambers and silicone the hell out of the back of it and place it at the bottom of the tank making sure there is enough silicon on it to adhere to the four sides of the ATO tank. Sort of like a false bottom.

spscrackhead
04/14/2016, 01:47 PM
I has the same general idea just localized to that corner. It would be impossiable to add a piece to the full length bottom back there. I only have 3"x3" of access on either side of the tank (where you fill the ato). The rest is blacked by the coast to coast overflow/ circulation compartment where the sicce pumps are housed.

peppie
04/14/2016, 07:51 PM
Build an acrylic or glass box that will slide down inside the chamber.

davehead86
04/15/2016, 07:57 AM
Do you have a link or any other information? I would greatly appreciate it.

I know I sent you a PM but here is a link for anyone else who comes upon this thread ...

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50112-ClearWeld-Quick-Setting/dp/B009EU5ZM0/ref=pd_sim_60_12?ie=UTF8&dpID=51ReklNkT%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1CWJ7APMXPSA8CZVZW1V

JB Weld Two Part all purpose epxoy. Sets clear, cures in 1 hour, 4400 PSI tensil strength.

I used a more specific type of the JB Weld that was not all purpose but geared towards glass. I found it at the "Home Store" no problem. It was very easy to use. I did clean out the silicone in my chip and made sure it was clear of debris before using this stuff. It is also a bit runny so I made sure my tank was sitting at the right angle to keep the liquid in and not running all over the place.

hllywd
04/15/2016, 09:42 AM
From your pics it looks like a fairy serious chip that jeopardizes the integrity of the bottom pane. What makes you believe it won't propagate across the bottom of the tank and dump the entire contents, not just the ATO. I can't tell you how much I dislike the "silicone the hell out of it" idea and it's possible consequences. If that pane cracks no amount of silicone will stop it.

spscrackhead
04/15/2016, 10:50 AM
That pane is not in the bottom of the tank, it is actually the back pane that is chipped. The back of the ago compartment. From your pics it looks like a fairy serious chip that jeopardizes the integrity of the bottom pane. What makes you believe it won't propagate across the bottom of the tank and dump the entire contents, not just the ATO. I can't tell you how much I dislike the "silicone the hell out of it" idea and it's possible consequences. If that pane cracks no amount of silicone will stop it.

hllywd
04/15/2016, 01:41 PM
OK, it still looks like it's at the bottom of the tank where the pressure is the highest. If it cracks is the outcome different? I know it's an expensive system, but what's your pain tolerance look like?

I can't tell from the pics how bad the crack/chip is, like I said before it looks pretty serious. If it's as bad as it looks a proper repair is in order. A glop of silicone or even JB Weld wouldn't have a sedative effect on me at night... Neither will stop a crack from running across the affected pane.

spscrackhead
04/15/2016, 03:42 PM
What would give you that warm and fuzzy? Replacing the back pane?
OK, it still looks like it's at the bottom of the tank where the pressure is the highest. If it cracks is the outcome different? I know it's an expensive system, but what's your pain tolerance look like?

I can't tell from the pics how bad the crack/chip is, like I said before it looks pretty serious. If it's as bad as it looks a proper repair is in order. A glop of silicone or even JB Weld wouldn't have a sedative effect on me at night... Neither will stop a crack from running across the affected pane.

GimpyFin
04/15/2016, 04:01 PM
I tend to agree with Hllywd on this. I personally wouldn't use it as is or band-aid it with silicone, etc. I'd either properly fix it if possible or replace it. I know it's not something you want to hear with an expensive Red Sea tank, but cracked/chipped glass is no joke (Speaking from experience.) A while back I had a small 20 gallon QT that had a teeny tiny chip out of one of the panes near the corner. I was really leery about using it, but it seemed ok and held water. Eventually, it ended up splitting across the entire pane starting near where the chip was. Would've really sucked if it was a big tank.

spscrackhead
04/15/2016, 04:36 PM
What would you consider a proper did then?
I tend to agree with Hllywd on this. I personally wouldn't use it as is or band-aid it with silicone, etc. I'd either properly fix it if possible or replace it. I know it's not something you want to hear with an expensive Red Sea tank, but cracked/chipped glass is no joke (Speaking from experience.) A while back I had a small 20 gallon QT that had a teeny tiny chip out of one of the panes near the corner. I was really leery about using it, but it seemed ok and held water. Eventually, it ended up splitting across the entire pane starting near where the chip was. Would've really sucked if it was a big tank.

McGee10
04/15/2016, 04:47 PM
Could you take the same size piece cut to size, then glue it to the back? It would make it twice as thick but it should be strong.

hllywd
04/16/2016, 09:18 AM
What would give you that warm and fuzzy? Replacing the back pane?

I think the proper fix is a proper fix. I know that's a vague answer, but IMO if it needs repaired do it right. None of the ideas I've seen will stop the panel from cracking if it's that badly damaged. I'm going on the assumption this is a 175 gallon tank, I'm not that familiar with RedSea tanks. I looked at one at MACNA a couple years ago... However, a glass tank is a glass tank and you have to judge the likelihood of a catastrophic failure from the damage you already have. If that means replacing the pane that's what it will take. If it was a smaller, less valuable tank the answer may be to simply replace it or maybe fixing a 20 gallon tank with a band aid is an acceptable risk. I think in your case the risk is thousands of dollars of damage to your home and loss of the contents of the tank.

You need to assess the damage and decide if it could cause that pane to fail (I think your concern already answers that question). Take things into consideration like how much stress is generated by the wave makers, etc...

Fredfish
04/16/2016, 12:11 PM
I has the same general idea just localized to that corner. It would be impossiable to add a piece to the full length bottom back there. I only have 3"x3" of access on either side of the tank (where you fill the ato). The rest is blacked by the coast to coast overflow/ circulation compartment where the sicce pumps are housed.
That should work well. I've done it before on small tanks.

reef thief
04/19/2016, 06:41 PM
I would use windshield Epoxy. The hydrostatic pressure shouldn't affect it if you apply thick. If the crack spreads then I would consider getting a new larger tank with a larger pump and more lights and possibly a new stand with a larger sump and new lights for your new lights in case those lights don't work. Maybe get some more fish and like 17 new corals too. That should fix the crack.