PDA

View Full Version : First tank coral care

evan47
04/14/2016, 12:05 PM
My tank has been running for a few months now and I have recently added a number of corals.
I have frogspawn, torch, duncan, candy cane and a zoa.
There are a small pair of clowns and a coral beauty plus a small clean up crew.
I feed flake and pellets daily and mysis shrimp 2 or 3 times a week.
I carry out 2 x 10% water changes per week.
I use saltwater and ro from my lfs.
What I would like to know is what feed and or additives (if any) should I be looking at using to keep the corals healthy and growing moderately and what trace elements should I test for and how to replace them.
I was hoping that the water changes would replenish the elements enough for good health.
I would like to keep things as simple as possible.

GilliganReef
04/14/2016, 02:04 PM
What is the size of your tank?

With that many corals I would think that the W/C should be enough. If you wanna feed them I would do brine shrimp and Mysis. You really don't need to feed zoas. I have been running my new tank with about the same corals for 9 months and I have yet to start dosing anything. I have 65 display with about 30G sumps.

lpsouth1978
04/14/2016, 04:12 PM
I agree that the water changes should be all that is necessary. If you are broadcast feeding the tank then you really don't need to feed the corals at all. They will get what they need from light and what you are feeding the fish, and from the fishes poo.

The corals you have are all pretty easy to care for, so if you keep up what you are doing they should all do well. If you decide at some point to add SPS corals then you may need to start dosing, but until then you are on the right track.

BigEZ77
04/14/2016, 05:31 PM
My tank is relatively new as well and I spot feed Reefroids once a week. I'm liking the results. They all seem to react right away, eat it up and seem to be growing well. My ba$tard cleaner shrimp keeps trying to open the zoas and palys to get the food though.