PDA

View Full Version : Uronema Marinum vs Vibriosis

Badbrad8500
04/15/2016, 08:03 PM
Is there a consensus on the difference of diagnosing Vibriosis vs Uronema? I search and search and come up with similar symptoms.

Thanks

ThRoewer
04/16/2016, 02:49 AM
From the looks it is near impossible. You would need to make a biopsy and look at it with a strong microscope to identify the actual pathogen.

Badbrad8500
04/16/2016, 04:22 PM
From the looks it is near impossible. You would need to make a biopsy and look at it with a strong microscope to identify the actual pathogen.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking as well. Just exploring all options before I decide whether or not to empty the display tank.

Badbrad8500
04/16/2016, 04:23 PM
Apparently people are quick to jump to Uronema when it may not be.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160416/9274030c6e19a4b96f8a7b0a0479764f.jpg

ThRoewer
04/16/2016, 04:49 PM
I also don't think Uronema in a tank is an automatic death sentence to all the inhabitants. As an opportunistic parasite it needs an incentive and opportunity to jump from its normal feeding grounds (detritus and bacteria) to a fish.

First of the fish's immune system needs to be weakened by shipping stress or poor conditions in the tank.

Secondly, Uronema needs an entrypoint, usually a wound, ideally an infected wound.

The reason why so many Chromis and Anthias are affected is that they are small fishes of the outer reefs or reef crown and therefore used to cleaner and more oxygenated water. At the same time they are small and rather low priced fish that are perceived as swarm fish that get along with each other. So they often get "gang packed" or packed in tiny bags with little water and oxygen. As a result they are stressed, weakened and often have wounds from fights.
More valuable fish or those to be known to usually fight with others of their species get usually treated better by being separated at all times.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could find Uronema in many reef tanks without any outbreaks or fish losses.
You can eliminate it from fish, but not from live rocks, corals, clams or other inverts that come with a rocky base or a hard shell.

Badbrad8500
04/16/2016, 05:22 PM
I also don't think Uronema in a tank is an automatic death sentence to all the inhabitants. As an opportunistic parasite it needs an incentive and opportunity to jump from its normal feeding grounds (detritus and bacteria) to a fish.

First of the fish's immune system needs to be weakened by shipping stress or poor conditions in the tank.

Secondly, Uronema needs an entrypoint, usually a wound, ideally an infected wound.

The reason why so many Chromis and Anthias are affected is that they are small fishes of the outer reefs or reef crown and therefore used to cleaner and more oxygenated water. At the same time they are small and rather low priced fish that are perceived as swarm fish that get along with each other. So they often get "gang packed" or packed in tiny bags with little water and oxygen. As a result they are stressed, weakened and often have wounds from fights.
More valuable fish or those to be known to usually fight with others of their species get usually treated better by being separated at all times.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could find Uronema in many reef tanks without any outbreaks or fish losses.
You can eliminate it from fish, but not from live rocks, corals, clams or other inverts that come with a rocky base or a hard shell.

Thanks for the reply. So if it was your tank, would you take the chance and just try to keep the water clean, or would you empty, sterilize and restart?

ThRoewer
04/17/2016, 02:05 AM
Depends on the tank and on the form of infection you had. If it was just one new fish and all other established were unaffected I would take a chance.

If you had a full blown uronema outbreak that affected new and established fish I might consider more drastic measures.

Badbrad8500
04/18/2016, 09:34 AM
Depends on the tank and on the form of infection you had. If it was just one new fish and all other established were unaffected I would take a chance.

If you had a full blown uronema outbreak that affected new and established fish I might consider more drastic measures.

Sounds logical to me. I'm going to keep the display running and add a couple fish. If all is well after a couple weeks, I'll add the rest. If any sign of Uronema, then it would be time to empty and sterilize. Thanks again for the reply.