PDA

View Full Version : Clown disappeared

kaspm
04/15/2016, 08:39 PM
Sometime this evening I had a black clown disappear. I moved rocks, checked overflows and it's no where to be found. Checked all tank params, all in line. Tank did get a little warm today 81. Any ideas?

Only other fish in there was orange clown, 2 bangaii cardinals and 1 blue mandarin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pyithar
04/16/2016, 02:06 AM
81F is fine. maybe it jumped out of the tank. it's time for finding dory you know :D j/k.

thegrun
04/16/2016, 06:53 AM
+1, search the floor! Nearly all fish are potential jumpers, my female clown jumped out of our tank when I was cleaning it when she tried to bite me; I moved my arm, she missed and jumped right out.

Cliving1
04/16/2016, 07:35 AM
I would not move rocks around when searching for a fish unless absolutely necessary. Seems like a peaceful setup, jumping could have occurred. Any odd behavior prior?

juniorrocketdad
04/16/2016, 08:06 AM
If you have an emerald crab it could have killed it or it jumped

JohnnyHildo
04/16/2016, 08:14 AM
If you have an emerald crab it could have killed it or it jumped
my emerald pulls the "come at me bro" pose anytime a fish gets in his space but i've never seen him lash out at anything. depending on size i would guess OP would have found the fish's body or at least most of it.
vote for jumped.

Antics
04/16/2016, 08:22 AM
Jumping sounds most likely, but I would second the possibility of an emerald or coral banded having an opportunistic dinner. Not really sure what crabs are in the system, but a lot of people underestimate the predatory capabilities of their "CUC".

snorvich
04/16/2016, 08:26 AM
Jumping sounds most likely, but I would second the possibility of an emerald or coral banded having an opportunistic dinner. Not really sure what crabs are in the system, but a lot of people underestimate the predatory capabilities of their "CUC".

I agree.

kaspm
04/16/2016, 09:13 AM
Cuc must have got him some how. No body, not on the floor. They must have picked him apart pretty quickly

ca1ore
04/16/2016, 09:39 AM
The causes of a missing fish (in general order of likelihood):

1. Died and got 'reduced' by your CUC (this can happen surprisingly quickly)
2. Jumped (maybe then eaten by cat or dog)
3. Despite your search, fish are really good at hiding, sometimes in a crevice in the rocks
4. Boogeyman

JohnnyHildo
04/16/2016, 10:55 AM

4. Boogeyman

we can rule this one out as i can confirm he was at my place last night knocking my acros over for me to find in the sand this morning :mad2:

BrokenSpoke
04/16/2016, 12:07 PM
I saw you checked your overflows but did you check your sump?

kaspm
04/16/2016, 12:36 PM
There is no way for it to get down there, standpipe has guards on it

thegrun
04/16/2016, 12:57 PM

4. Boogeyman

I would not rule out flesh eating zombies which apparently are becoming quite a problem in some areas.

puckett26
04/16/2016, 05:08 PM
I had this happen to me once before. I found him in the filter sock a few days later :(

Sully72
04/18/2016, 07:15 AM
Ive had two fish disappear in my tank in my reefing history within one day. I think hermits and shrimp are eat them up so fast when they die.

slcgrad2k
04/18/2016, 07:59 AM
Eunice worm? It's a bit of a stretch I know. Just putting it out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

juniorrocketdad
04/18/2016, 08:05 AM
Emeralds def can kill clowns I had a pricey pair of frostbites and my emerald crab killed the female than the male either starved because they were a wild caught pair or the emerald killed him too

leviburns89
04/18/2016, 03:46 PM

That's scarier than the boogieman. At least the boogieman only lives in my dreams.

Eunicid worms are disgusting, and could very easily grab hold of a sleeping fish and drag it into the nethervoid

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

slcgrad2k
04/23/2016, 12:32 PM
That's scarier than the boogieman. At least the boogieman only lives in my dreams.

Eunicid worms are disgusting, and could very easily grab hold of a sleeping fish and drag it into the nethervoid

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Your right, I'd take the boogieman over the Eunice worm anytime.

ReefWhatYouSow
04/24/2016, 08:21 PM
I just found my yellowfin flasher wrasse that I have been missing for a month. He was 2 feet from my tank in a pile of stuff. I never really looked for him though cause my tank is always covered unless I am working on it. And I would assume I would have seen it jump out. Crazy fish.

BrickFishHouse
04/24/2016, 08:40 PM

Don't you put that evil on him!!!!

ca1ore
04/25/2016, 08:30 AM

Probably should have explained my use of the term. Wasn't trying to be funny. 'Boogeyman' is my pet term for all the things sometimes real, but usually imagined, that reefers seem to assign blame to when a fish goes missing. While any number of nasty predators are possible, thus the 'boogeyman', the explanation is almost always something far less dramatic. In over 25 years of reefing, in all that time, I've had just one single fish that was clearly offed by the 'boogeyman' - in that case a mantis shrimp. All of the others have jumped, died or just disappeared. I accept that some of the latter may have been killed by a predator, but it's not likely to be many of them.

slcgrad2k
05/05/2016, 05:42 PM
Don't you put that evil on him!!!!
Most villainous worm out there! Pure evil.