PDA

View Full Version : Sump sizing?

sohankpatel
04/15/2016, 11:07 PM
This is for a FW tank, however not a lot of people use sumps for FW, so I thought I would as the SW community. How should I size my sump for a 150g, 180g or 210g? Maybe a 29 or a 55g?

Pilotman520
04/15/2016, 11:30 PM
As close to half of your display tank volume as you can fit. That said I m not sure what you are gonna put down there besides heaters and a return pump for a freshwater setup.

sohankpatel
04/16/2016, 01:10 AM
As close to half of your display tank volume as you can fit. That said I m not sure what you are gonna put down there besides heaters and a return pump for a freshwater setup.

A monstrous amount of bio media. As well as an algae scrubber. Half volume seems a bit much. 40 gallons worth of,media?

Pilotman520
04/16/2016, 08:27 AM
How much bio media? For sw you are also looking to increase the amount of water for greater stability. Maybe for fresh that's not as important. A 55 might work for for you. Have the water drain down into a section with your bio media. Maybe 36 inches long. Then over a baffle or 2 depending on if you have bubbles and into a return section. This will have your return pump, heater and separate pump for your algae scrubber. You can also reef off your main return to feed it you just need a ball valve. You can also put an auto top off on this section.

Let us know how it works out!

ca1ore
04/16/2016, 09:54 AM
Sumps are just as useful on FW than SW. Always ran them on my planted tanks. Shoot for 1/3 to 1/2 of display volume.