PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium, Bryopsis, and Macro Algae question...

tedward27
04/16/2016, 07:32 PM
Hello all. I recently connected the start of a shallow sandbed refugium with my reef that has some bryopsis. Suspected that some old rock in the reef is leeching slowly. I am hoping to kill the bryopsis with tech m magnesium. I would like to hear from people with similar experiences and what the outcome was. And some numbers. I have dealt with bryopsis before and can't remember how high the mag was when it died.

tedward27
04/16/2016, 11:07 PM
And I guess the other question is... how much magnesium will start to affect the macro? or will it hurt or help macro. I am sure there is a thread somewhere. I think I am looking for somewhat recent killing bryopsis experience with macro algae involved in the system. This stuff isn't easy to kill for sure!

tedward27
04/27/2016, 05:50 PM
mag is now at 1400 and going up slowly. I am watching closely for any negative effects. Anyone have any numbers to share?

gallegos
04/28/2016, 01:16 PM
Yes so shoot for 1600 and keep there for 2 weeks then do water changes. Make sure you are using Kent marine mag. There's something else in it that kills the briopsis. First time I did it I used boyd mag and it didn't do anything. Also didn't affect my chato or dragons breath

tedward27
06/22/2016, 10:11 PM
I hit 1800 and minimal die off. few weeks later mag crept down. now working on getting back to 1600+.(wasn't keeping track. my fault for sure!) still wondering about mag relation to macros...? good...bad???