PDA

View Full Version : Eheim universal pump 600

reuvenk
04/17/2016, 07:25 AM
Hi All,

I have a Eheim universal pump 600 to move water from my tank to the sump.
In order to avoid overfilling the sump in case the retun pump fails I have a apex detector that should stop the pump in case of leakage.

I stoped the power to the pump manually but the flow continues...

Does anybody have any idea why?

Dinnin
04/17/2016, 07:41 AM
Where is the flow continuing from? What kind of overflow setup?

If your overflows are done correctly, you may be pulling a siphon on the pump return. Do you have a siphin break near the surface of the tank? I personally, would not depend on switches to cut off my overflows or pump, but I don't like systems that can flood if everything goes side ways.

reuvenk
04/17/2016, 07:47 AM
Hi Dinnin,

The pump is located inside the aquariumn cabinnet below the water level. It drains water from the aquarium and into a sump through an exit hose.

I don't use an overflow box

Dinnin
04/17/2016, 07:49 AM
So you're pulling a single suction with a hose and no overflows? How are you breaking the siphon on the pump, the hose, and how is the siphoned re started? Pictures might help at this point.

reuvenk
04/17/2016, 08:23 AM
Hi Dinnin,

Attached is a diagram of the pump and hoses.

https://img42.com/OtQXW

Tnx in advance...

johnc99
04/17/2016, 11:41 PM
Hi Dinnin,

Attached is a diagram of the pump and hoses.

https://img42.com/OtQXW

Tnx in advance...

So what pumps water back to your aquarium from the sump?

When the sump sits lower than the display tank, you gravity feed the sump and pump upwards from the sump to the display tank.

Dinnin
04/18/2016, 12:31 AM
Agreed ,we're missing part of the loop. Snap a pic of your setup and I'm sure we'll get it.

reuvenk
04/18/2016, 02:08 AM
I have two eheim universal 600 pumps.

One to feed the sump and the other to feed the aquarium back. Those two pumps are connected to the apex controller.

When I manually stop those two pumps the second pump that feeds the aquarium stops and there is now flow. The first pump that transfers the water from the aquarium to the sum still flows (although the motor doesn't run).

Dinnin
04/18/2016, 02:35 AM
I'm a very confused lady right now.

Why are you pumping water out of your tabk, when a simple HOB overflow would be cheaper ( and not using power), and not be a potential flood hazard.

How deep is the hose in the tank you're drawing water with? What it sounds like is, you've got suction pulling on one of the pumps. When you kill the power, it's going to pull that siphon until it either hits your siphon breaks near the surface, OR it gets to the bottom of the inlet.

reuvenk
04/18/2016, 02:47 AM
Hi Dinnin,

I want to have manual control on the flow to the sump so I can "kill" the flow when needed (via the internet from example). I don't mind the extra few watts per hour. the hose is a few cms into the tank. I can I stop the siphon when i kill the power?

Dinnin
04/18/2016, 03:52 AM
You can stop the siphin by drilling a hole just below the water line to allow the pipes to suck air when they come above the water line and break suction. BE AWARE, you still need to plan to have the sump fill as far as you can pull suction in this manner as an emergency, or be diligent about cleaning them.

You can control the flow of the sump with a single pump quite easily. Honestly turning it off remotely will stop the flow from an overflow box in the exact same way. I guess what I'm getting at, pumping out and pumping back in is giving you no advantages I can see, at all, including your stated goal.