PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for power supply for led light

nathan1986
04/17/2016, 11:08 AM
Okay so i have a led light over my nano tank. The first power supply started humming when the leds werent at full blast. I emailed the company and they sent me a new larger power supply. Now that power supply is flickering the lights on and off randomly, kinda like a thunder storm effect. Now im looking to buy a power supply that is dimmable, has no restrictions on dimming and is of good quality. The light has 36 3w bridgelux led's so the power supply has to handle 108w consumption. Also my current setup the power supply plugs into my dimmers by the adapter type connection. So the new power supply would have to have that as well. I have no idea where to look for a power supply. Thanks in advance, nathan

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

theatrus
04/17/2016, 02:48 PM
Are all 36 LEDs in one series string?

nathan1986
04/17/2016, 02:51 PM
Yes they are. Has 2 dimmers to control the whites and blues separately. Its a reefbar pro led light from ebay. Light works well but their power supply is rubbish

theatrus
04/17/2016, 06:52 PM
If you have two dimmers all 36 are not in series, you'd likely have two strings of 18.

Do you have a picture of the failed power supply, and the connector? Most interested in the labels.

nathan1986
04/17/2016, 07:34 PM
Its a cheap chinese power supply. But the first power supply has a label, tho its overl all size is smaller than the replacement they sent me

nathan1986
04/17/2016, 07:36 PM
You can see the barrel connector that attaches to the dimmer switch.

nathan1986
04/17/2016, 07:40 PM
As far as the led's go. Blues could be seperate from the whites. The dimmers were an option at checkout. The chord coming out of the fixture splits into 2 wires, both wires end with a female barrel connector. Then the is one dimmer for each female connector. Then there is a 2 into 1 connector that goes from the other end of the dimmer to the male barrel connector on the power supply.

theatrus
04/17/2016, 08:48 PM
You can see the barrel connector that attaches to the dimmer switch.

10A through a barrel connector is really pushing it.

These have the wrong output connector but are two series I would recommend (Level V or VI, full safety ratings, etc)

http://www.cui.com/product/power/ac-dc-power-supplies/external/desktop/sdi120-u-series

https://power.sager.com/gs160a12-r7b-2525140.html (GST is the Level VI)

You'll notice the 4 pin DIN connector, which is standard for high current needs. You should be able to hack off the old lead end and the new one and swap it.

Your power supply may or may not be at fault of course.

oreo57
04/17/2016, 09:11 PM
Are all 36 LEDs in one series string?
Looks like a 12V power supply soo they seem to be doing 3x "x" rows of series/parallel diodes..

Each row is probably set to run at 500-700mA..

In-line PWM manual dimmer.

Standard 12V power supply. A large Meanwell or TDK-Lambda will work just fine..

o/p may want to bypass the dimmers as to make sure they are not the problem..

nathan1986
04/18/2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Im pretty sure its the power supply because when the lights are flickering and i tap on the power supply it stops. But if i mess with the dimmers while they are flickering it just keeps flickering. Also i could bypass the dimmers but then id be running all 36 led's at full blast. The light is in my opinion, overkill for my mr aqua 12g nano. I have to dim them way down or my zoas will just be all ticked off lol i contacted rapid led about building a custom light, seeing how this one has issues and is what i think too powerful for the tank i have it on. They recommended 12 led's spaced out on a 36" heatsink. I MAY go that route, that way the tank will have proper lighting, good controller and a good power supply. On the other hand im all for cutting the barrel connectors off and wiring it more properly and using a good power supply. But id still have to dim them way down. I think 108w is just too much for 12 gallons lol