PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish won't eat after moved to a bigger tank

DrReeferDude
04/17/2016, 04:31 PM
I have an ocellaris clown that I've had for ~1.5 years now. She's always been somewhat timid but usually a great eater if fed in "her spot". I've set up a new tank over the past 6 months. The tank water parameters are essentially perfect, no ammonia, no nitrites or nitrates. I added a another clownfish with this fish at the time of the tank swap. The new fish is a juvenile and they instantly took to one another swimming around together without any fighting or squabbles. I've not seen any aggression whatsoever. The problem is my older clownfish is now on day 5 of not eating. She doesn't appear to be breathing fast, there are no lesions on her. She will swim up to food sometimes and sniff it or even bite it and spit it out, but she shows no real interest in the food. The juvenile on the other hand eats like a pig and is doing well. I have tried PE mysis, the NLS pellets she's eaten for the majority of the past 1.5 years, even frozen brine shrimp. She swims around the tank a bit some days, others she hides in the corner, but that was her MO in the old tank. I can't see any evidence of any infections other than her poor appetite which began instantly upon moving tanks. I can't tell if this is just stress to an extreme or if she came down with something :sad2:. Any input would be much appreciated.

krullshards
04/17/2016, 06:22 PM
Was the new clown QT'd? I wonder if the new clown introduced something. It may manifest differently for the old fashioned fish. Hmm..

DrReeferDude
04/17/2016, 06:38 PM
No I didn't QT the new guy, but I'm not seeing any signs of disease in the new guy nor am I seeing anything besides poor appetite in the older fish... I'm hoping it's just stressed, but who knows...:eek1:

DrReeferDude
04/17/2016, 07:08 PM
Here's a video of him in case anybody sees something I don't. Please let me know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smNMc1dCe2Q

krullshards
04/17/2016, 08:26 PM
No I didn't QT the new guy, but I'm not seeing any signs of disease in the new guy nor am I seeing anything besides poor appetite in the older fish... I'm hoping it's just stressed, but who knows...:eek1:

Yeah, I hope you are right. I was going to initially suggest that maybe it just needs to get used to it's surroundings, but the fact that it has been 5 days already is a bit troubling. I hope it works out!

DrReeferDude
04/20/2016, 08:41 AM
So I think he's just being skittish as ever. She isn't losing any weight, and she is still behaving normally with not a spot on her. Normal for her is hiding from me wherever I try to look at her. I watched her eating from an odd angle during feeding today. The little guy goes nuts and she chills in her cave, but she seems to be plucking off whatever goes by/into her cave or settles on the sandbed in the cave. I saw her eat at least a few brine shrimp and pods. I've been feeding every variety of food there is. I even ordered PE calanus to mix in with all my feeds. All feeds are soaked in garlic and selcon (HUFA). Maybe she just won't take pellet because she's still afraid of the new environment and won't swim too far out of her cave. I'm keeping the lights off for a few more days to see if that helps her become a little less timid. I'm wondering if the first few days of feeding she wasn't just picking off pods from the tank so I couldn't see. I guess time will tell...:hammer: