PDA

View Full Version : Best light any type around $200 for all corals in 20 long

Ryan927
04/18/2016, 11:34 AM
I am considering returning my current orbit marine led strip, my lfs sold me on it but after researching it seems under powered for sps. I'm looking to grow a mixed reef on a 20 long and don't need the best light out there but I don't want to be under powered.

Are there any 4 bulb T5 fixtures, or a better LED in the low $200 price range? I realize T5 bulbs are a cost, I used to run them on my 90g. I am open to hallides too but am anticipating heat issues this summer.

An added bonus would be tank mounted as I have a vaulted ceiling over my tank. What's the best of the Chinese stuff right now? I've been reading some stuff about guys going away from LED recently. Thoughts?

Thanks!

FarmerTy
04/18/2016, 02:01 PM
Ocean Revive T247. Great product, great price.

Ron Reefman
04/18/2016, 03:49 PM
Tybota hit my first choice. Nice with a built-in timer and legs.

MarsAqua if you want to save money. It's way more light than you'll need.

Devaji108
04/18/2016, 04:05 PM
hey Ryan,
I have been debating the same light on the same tank, a 20L but my needs are a lot lower than yours as is going to be a macro tank. yeah for SPS I would think one would not do the trick is it the pro or 1st gen.?

so the above would be a better bet. useless you want to go with 2 units. the orbit are nice ans sleek and sexy lookin,. that keeps me coming back to them.

ocean Revive says the T247 @ 12" above water will light a 36x24 area. but we only need 13"dep and wide so some light spill for sure.

but for you SPS tank you deff. got to go something...

I have also been looking at the 300W longer mars aqua from ebay and running it low % but there not near as sexy and sleek. with them made a new slim modal.

other options:

DIY from rapid LED there is a slim Heat sink I thought about.

not under 200..
a pair of used AI primes
a pair of Kessils A160
reefbreeders 24" V2 I have the on my 36x24x24 main DT and love it.

let us ( me) know what you go with as I have been milling this over for some time now.

cheers

Ryan927
04/19/2016, 03:02 AM
I will check out those lights thank you!

Devaji,

I have only been running the current marine non-pro version for about 4 days with 1 piece of live rock and a clean up crew so I can't comment on it, other than it is a sleek design with a nice control panel. My only complaint so far is I spilled a bunch of water yesterday and woke up with a water bubble under the display screen. It seems to be shrinking now but definitely not an air tight setup as water infiltrated it from one big splash. According to what I've read though, it's a good enough light for middle of the road LPS growth, however it's hard to know what the reviewers are comparing it to, because on Amazon a lot of the 5 star reviewers aren't growing anything, just lighting a tank, but it comes with some cool settings for that (thunderstorms, clouds, etc).

Ryan927
04/19/2016, 03:39 AM
Ok done just bought the ocean revive t247. And it was only $70 more after I return my current marine strip. Seems like a no brainer. The bigger problem here is I just realized I cannot trust my lfs. The dude was super confident about the light and usually I research first but with a 30 day return policy I went for it. I knew 23 watts sounded weak but he was selling me like a car dealer which I don't understand. Thank god for the Internet.

Ron Reefman
04/20/2016, 06:56 AM
Ryan, the Current led fixture is under powered, but it will work over a shallow tank that is only 12" deep. Even for sps. So don't be too hard on your LFS.

Now if they had tried to sell you that fixture for over a 24" deep tank I'd have said they are crazy!:spin2:

Devaji108
04/21/2016, 11:19 AM
great glad you found a like to like. plz to keep us ( me) posted. I am very curious about this light over a 20L

I will be needing lots of pics and/or vids feel fre teo PM me. :D

SnowManSnow
04/21/2016, 11:39 AM
I've used Ocean Revive, and they are actually pretty good lil lights. I'm not even a T5 guy really, but the OR are a really good value from my limited experience

brad65ford
04/21/2016, 12:03 PM
coral box moon