PDA

View Full Version : Help stocking a 60 gallon reef

30Nano
04/18/2016, 02:47 PM
So in the past I've had 1 red tank which was a softie / LPS tank... Which is still up and running! But I've now been busy for the past months setting up my 60 gallon SPS tank! Now that everything's done cycling I thought I'd give it a go and start and some stuff slowly. Here's the fish I was looking at getting!

Fish List
•Kole Tang
•Black Leopard Wrasse
•White Ray Shrimp Goby ( Bonded with a shrimp )

Other possibilities I was considering....
•Blotchy Anthias
•Red Spot Cardinalfish x5

Does anyone have any other ideas that would work out well? I'm looking for a little more color since the black leopard wrasse and kole tang aren't the most colorful fish! Id maybe like to get one more larger sizes fish maybe the size the anthias would be... I'd for sure get the anthias just would have to think before spending the $300 these little buggers go for....

drummerboyevil
04/18/2016, 05:52 PM
Kole tangs are pretty colorful under the right lighting. http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/kole-tang.jpg

juniorrocketdad
04/18/2016, 05:55 PM
Since your getting a kole tang in a 60 why not get a whale shark, they truly are beautiful

30Nano
04/18/2016, 06:08 PM
Since your getting a kole tang in a 60 why not get a whale shark, they truly are beautiful

Are you saying I should not get the Kole tang in a 60? That is very true that they are quite the beauty! I guess the pictures I have seen must have not had good lighting then... Any other suggestions for smaller sized fish? Because the Kole tang would be my only larger sized fish.

oseymour
04/18/2016, 06:24 PM

Cause a fish that gets a maximum of 7 inches is comparable to a whale shark.

I would do the Kole Tang in the 60. I like how they look.

30Nano
04/18/2016, 06:36 PM
Cause a fish that gets a maximum of 7 inches is comparable to a whale shark.

I would do the Kole Tang in the 60. I like how they look.

Ok sweet!

Current Stocking List.
-Kole Tang
-Black Leopard Wrasse
-White Ray Goby
-Midas Blenny

Any other suggestions?

CafeReef
04/18/2016, 07:56 PM
I'd always recommend a diamond goby. good sand sifter and will keep your substraight clean. not to mention their fun to watch burrow.

mpderksen
04/18/2016, 08:42 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/4b151460d24577b133bd299d7227905d.jpg
I have a Kole in my 75, and he's VERY active and can bully other grazers. What lighting was that last picture taken under?
I have a diamond that shares a cave with a pistol shrimp in my 25. Very shy and hides a lot.

MMacro
04/18/2016, 08:56 PM
Ok sweet!

Current Stocking List.
-Kole Tang
-Black Leopard Wrasse
-White Ray Goby
-Midas Blenny

Any other suggestions?

I would personally skip the kole tang.
Just because you can does not mean that you should.

CafeReef
04/18/2016, 09:03 PM
I'd maybe consider a Coral Beauty Angel over the Kole Tang, the CBA also calls for a 70, but only maxes at 4" instead of 7" like the KT.

30Nano
04/18/2016, 09:06 PM
I'd maybe consider a Coral Beauty Angel over the Kole Tang, the CBA also calls for a 70, but only maxes at 4" instead of 7" like the KT.

I may start with a smaller sized Kole tang see how he works out... If in the long run when he's bigger sized if there becomes any issues I have a buddy with a large system who'd be more then happy to take it!

CafeReef
04/18/2016, 09:25 PM
I may start with a smaller sized Kole tang see how he works out... If in the long run when he's bigger sized if there becomes any issues I have a buddy with a large system who'd be more then happy to take it!

Well none of us can stop you :) it's always good to plan ahead though, it helps.

MMacro
04/18/2016, 10:37 PM

IMO/IME
99.9% of the time this rehoming/upgrade never happens. You would be better off respecting the requirements of these creatures and buying fish that are appropriately sized for your system. But as said before, no one can stop you.

drummerboyevil
04/19/2016, 01:05 PM
A kole tang would be just fine in a 60 lol. It takes a few years for them to get full size, so just use it as an excuse to upgrade.

People need to chill.

ezerasurfr
04/19/2016, 04:42 PM
People need to chill.

Exactly. While there is a point that too large of a fish will just not be successful in an undersized aquarium, this whole 'tang police' nonsense has gone way overboard.

borderreef
04/19/2016, 07:41 PM
Hello 30nano. As you well know, when you post on here you are going to get a variety of advice and opinions. It's the nature of the beast. Rest assured we are all chill, fly, and whatever else. It's not about being tang police. We would feel the same if you were putting an emperor angelfish in your tank. But this thread has shied away from your initial inquiry. I would suggest a pearly jawfish, royal gramma, firefish. These are some of my favorites. They add a diversity of size, color, and movement to the smallish tanks.

30Nano
04/19/2016, 09:13 PM
So let's say I did take the Kole tang off the list... Would any of these lists work?

List 1
Golden Angelfish
Black Leopard wrasse
White Ray Goby
Midas Blenny

List 2
A single or pair of genicanthus angelfish
Black Leopard wrasse
White Ray goby
Midas Blenny

I'd really like to have one larger showy species of fish for the reef, all of the other fish I plan on being small to medium sized. Anyone have suggestions for the the show or prize fish?

CafeReef
04/19/2016, 09:50 PM
List 1 would work great. Idk if you are planning a reef or not, angels are reef safe with caution, some will pick at corals. Some just fine, depends on the fish personality.

List 2 would not work, genicanthus angels need 120+ I would be afraid, even small, they would be aggressive

30Nano
04/19/2016, 09:58 PM
List 1 would work great. Idk if you are planning a reef or not, angels are reef safe with caution, some will pick at corals. Some just fine, depends on the fish personality.

List 2 would not work, genicanthus angels need 120+ I would be afraid, even small, they would be aggressive

I'm planning on a SPS heavy reef with a few Zoas LPS and a clam. So with the Golden angel is there anything else that could work besides the other fish I have listed?

30Nano
04/19/2016, 09:59 PM
Another fish I was thinking of would be a Copperband. Could this one work?

oseymour
04/20/2016, 04:17 AM
IMO/IME
99.9% of the time this rehoming/upgrade never happens. You would be better off respecting the requirements of these creatures and buying fish that are appropriately sized for your system. But as said before, no one can stop you.

Where did you get that 99.9% number from? Are you pulling it out of a hat? I've re-homed a number of fish in the last 4 years. I either take it back to my LFS or find another reefer to sell/trade. In NYC there is no shortage of other reefers to do this with.

I've done it, have friends that do it, have people in local clubs and local events that I attend do it. I'm not saying everyone does but it happens more than you think.

Periodically browse the fish for sale forum in ManhattanReefs and you'll see the number of people looking for homes for new fish because they got too big.

oseymour
04/20/2016, 04:20 AM
Another fish I was thinking of would be a Copperband. Could this one work?

I wouldn't do the Copperband. I have a small one and it ate all my acans and brain corals and it's not for a beginner because it can be a pain to get to eat. That clam might also be at risk.

You can have fish like this for months and then one day they start picking. It took 2 days for my acans and brains to be eaten.

drummerboyevil
04/20/2016, 08:19 AM
Where did you get that 99.9% number from? Are you pulling it out of a hat? I've re-homed a number of fish in the last 4 years. I either take it back to my LFS or find another reefer to sell/trade. In NYC there is no shortage of other reefers to do this with.

I've done it, have friends that do it, have people in local clubs and local events that I attend do it. I'm not saying everyone does but it happens more than you think.

Periodically browse the fish for sale forum in ManhattanReefs and you'll see the number of people looking for homes for new fish because they got too big.

I think most people that use that statistic are speaking for their own personal experience with it. Obviously impossible to know the true statistic.

Bma1972
04/21/2016, 04:39 PM
A six line wrasse is a great fish to keep anything away from damaging your corals. The leopard wrasse might change your rock work around and do some sand coverage. They are also very reclusive. The copper banned also nip, so I agree with everyone in not adding that, also not a great percentage of survival rate. Name consider a nice sailfin tang. They do get big but it takes a while. And they are ref safe.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Bma1972
04/21/2016, 04:40 PM
And love Midas Blen. Awesome personality

Bma1972
04/21/2016, 04:42 PM
Sorry just also read your thinking of clams. The golden Angel might pick at that and some other polyps

drummerboyevil
04/21/2016, 06:00 PM
Don't get a sixline if you ever want to try and keep a mandarin. Mine started beating the **** out of mine after a year together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzch82
04/21/2016, 10:29 PM
Call yellow eye Tang is one of my favorite fish, they are very beneficial for the tank. You can get a cool yellow eye Tang comma usually whether they're small medium or large in my experience they've been pretty docile and accepting of other tank mates. As opposed to getting a large yellow tang which will be aggressive to not only other things but probably all your other fish in the tank. Firefish goby is good, I have two yellow coris wrasses. To provide a lot of beautiful action and color for an inexpensive price, I would add a little school of about 5-7 green chromis is to the tank. They usually cost 4 to $8 apiece. They are very Hardy peaceful and adapt very well to the tank. I have a clown fish and I don't like him. Adam for years and never really liked him. It's something about his attitude, and he always tries to bite me when I stick my hand in the tank. He does bite me, he is a major *******, avoid them.

jzch82
04/21/2016, 10:31 PM
Kole yellow eye tang, not call yellow eye tang, my voice text messed up