PDA

View Full Version : Lights for a 180

CrayolaViolence
04/18/2016, 03:11 PM
I am looking at upgrading to a 180. It's not super deep, about 21 inches and 27 wide and 6 long I think. I currently have an 80 gal with two kessils but I have been a little frustrated with my restriction on color. The lights are beautiful, the shimmer lovely, but even when set at a higher white (I have to keep them low intensity or they will cook everything since the tank is only 12 inches deep) I miss out on a lot of non fluorescing colors. Pinks, blues, reds, and purples sort of blend into the rocks. So with the 180 I was going to try a different light and was looking at the hydra 52. Any thoughts on this light. Also have considered the maxspect razor.
I've seen the colors produced by the hydra, not a big fan of the poka-dot dance but the color is nice on the coral, very eye popping. Also if I go with the hydra would 2 be enough. I was talked into getting two 340W tuna blue kessils on the tank I have now, yet I never run them above 30% intensity. I could have done just fine with one kessil tuna blue (or 2 260) to be honest and had the same results.
I thought about one of the low profile kessil panels but some of the reviews I've read have not been good about compatibility with aps to control the lights. And my own experience with kessil tech support has not been all that great. yes, the lights shimmer, the corals look happy, but the tank isn't very bright, the blue just seems to suck up all the color.
Anyhow. Would love to hear opinions on number and type of lights. Thanks in advance.

jraker
04/18/2016, 03:56 PM
Would you consider metal halides and some T-5s maybe?

CrayolaViolence
04/19/2016, 05:11 AM
Would you consider metal halides and some T-5s maybe?

I've done metal halides in the past and wound up with seriously burned corals and an terrible light bill. I'd rather not have to go that direction again. The LED lights are just so nice. Now, I might consider just T5 lights in a variation of colors, and I admit I've noticed some corals just do better under T5s, but, they are bland and lack any kind of contrast that gives the tank depth. That's the only downfall I have with them since they seem to be able to grow anything.

CrayolaViolence
04/19/2016, 05:12 AM
I've also noted that T5s seem to be the absolute fastest way to grow coralline algae.