PDA

View Full Version : Removed Dying Anemone...Should I Be Worried About Tank Poisoning?

BigEZ77
04/18/2016, 07:09 PM
The one purchase I was not diligent in researching was an anemone. Well, its totally bit me in the a$$. I did not realize that the tank should be mature before putting one in...lesson learned...in fact, after reading they can poison our tank, I may never buy one again.

A couple weeks or so ago I bought a Flame Bubble Tip with an online order of other corals. It looked good at first but gradually got worse to the point of closing up entirely and not reopening at throughout the day. This past Friday I was blowing off the rock before a water change and accidentally blew him thru a hole in the rock to an area that I couldn't get to without removing rock. I didn't think too much of it at the time and thought either he'll move to a place he would prefer or not make it.

Tonight I was doing some random searches regarding the hobby which seems to be my usually evening activity as of late and came across the fact that a dying anemone can totally wipe out a tank, so I immediately started removing rock to find him. I found him on the underside of the rock in one of the crevices. He was attached and totally closed up, so I remove him entirely and did not appear to cause any damage to him, nor did he appear to release any toxins.

The reason I started searching about this tonight is that I was noticing my clowns were acting sluggish, all my fish were staying on the other side of the tank this morning, my tank smelled more "fishy" than usual (could have been in my head) and my corals were closed up more than usual tonight. I now have salt mixing overnight for a water change first thing tomorrow morning. I tested my water this morning and all seems good for Ammonia and Nitrates.

Should I be worried at this point? Is there anything else I should do beyond water changes?

BigEZ77
04/18/2016, 07:13 PM
I also should mention that I did two 10% water changes over the weekend (Friday night and Sunday morning) due to a diatom bloom that I'm experiencing.

Dkuhlmann
04/18/2016, 07:34 PM
You'll be fine but I would do a weekly WC of 20-25%. Especially since you're having a diatom bloom. Do NOT stir your sand just do the water changes and let it run its course. It should go away on it's own in less than two weeks

BigEZ77
04/18/2016, 07:37 PM
10-4, thanks