PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin dragonet compatibility?

EI Gringo
04/18/2016, 10:52 PM
I read somewhere that mandarins have a slimy coat on them which predators don't like the taste of and therefore are far less likely to be snatched by a mantis, I think it was kharn who mentioned this. This and my love for the fish have tempted me to trying one for me peacock mantis display tank. The tank is 120 litres, just over 3 foot long. If anyone has success stories of mandarins and big stomatopods then I may give it a try. Any thoughts please guys, all things will be considered as I am very much on the fence leaning towards not bothering.

snorvich
04/19/2016, 02:55 AM
I would not.

Kharn
04/19/2016, 04:49 AM
I kept some dragonets in with my L.maculata whom he never touched I did catch him a couple of times showing interest but he never seemed to go for it.

Also kept one in with a smaller spearer (L.colemanii) for a long time.

I'm not sure how a peacock would go I find the smashers more unpredictable then the spearers.

EI Gringo
04/19/2016, 02:18 PM
So here's my set up, 120 litres 95cm by 35cm footprint. Premade burrow 45cm in length U shaped. Livestock of many many snails and will add large numbers of feeder shrimp regularly, 6 sailfin mollies as fish fodder, 1 pyjama cardinal, 1 blue spot puffer (smaller species) and soon 1 red tail filefish (pervagor species). I'm thinking of getting the peacock and seeing how he gets on with the current inhabitants but I'm aware that anything added thereafter is more likely to be a target to the peacock so if I'm going to try one I actually might be better off adding it first... It's a tough one but I think I probably won't bother given little information + the dragonet will hang about at the bottom an awful lot too.

EI Gringo
04/19/2016, 02:20 PM
How long is a long time by the way Kharn?

Betta132
04/19/2016, 04:53 PM
I would not suggest it. The mantis might stab/smash the mandarin before it realized that it tasted bad. Such a slow-moving, bottom-hugging fish should never be kept with anything that might decide to go after it.
You shouldn't be keeping the mantis with the puffer, anyway. One of them will attack the other at some point. The filefish is in danger as well.

Kharn
04/20/2016, 01:24 AM
How long is a long time by the way Kharn?

I kept a Dragonet with Minos for the longest it was just a cheap brown and white type of Dragonet so I didn't really see much $ worth in it and so did the test but sure enough maybe 6months, the dragonet was still in there.

Did the same with the Giant Spearer and he never touched the Dragonet after about 2-3months.

And again did the same with a Snowflake eel whom showed the most interest, it would "Face Boop" the dragonet like a "taste" then just swim off.

No mantis I ever had ever killed any dragonet...In fact no dragonet has ever died under my care albeit from their abnormal diet (suspended film can + frozen lobster eggs) or the animals they were in with (predators).

Kharn
04/20/2016, 01:27 AM
I second the do not keep puffer with Mantis.

I remember a while ago seeing probably the WORST tank inhabitants in a mantis tank I had ever seen I almost thought it was specifically setup for that "hate" response by most on here.

He had a Peacock & Giant Spearer in same tank WITH Lionfish Eel Porcupine Puffer and more...madness...madness & stupidity.

jml538
04/20/2016, 07:25 AM
I second the do not keep puffer with Mantis.

I remember a while ago seeing probably the WORST tank inhabitants in a mantis tank I had ever seen I almost thought it was specifically setup for that "hate" response by most on here.

He had a Peacock & Giant Spearer in same tank WITH Lionfish Eel Porcupine Puffer and more...madness...madness & stupidity.

Post more videos mantisman!!!!!!!

EI Gringo
04/20/2016, 07:42 AM
It's only a dwarf jewel puffer, he barely even attacks the feeder shrimp I put in there, the pyjama cardinal is far more interested in them. Porcupine puffer would be down right stupid though. The filefish is a shy red tail and I don't see much problem there, I have multiple places I could put one if I did have any problems, to put it straight I'm only worried about the mantis attacking the fish and not the other way around

Kharn
04/21/2016, 01:34 AM
Post more videos mantisman!!!!!!!

PHASE 2 starts may 6th

nmotz
04/21/2016, 02:27 PM
My 2 cents, it's always going to be easier to keep a mantis by itself. That being said, if you're ok with the risks and don't mind losing fish or whatever else, I don't see a problem with it. These creatures do come from the same ocean afterall. If it were me, I would not put fish of any kind in the tank because I want the mantis to be active. Sometimes fish can alarm mantis shrimp and cause them to become more reclusive.

EI Gringo
04/22/2016, 01:02 AM
I've just ordered a peacock that's about 4-5 inches as well as the filefish at 2-3 inches and they will be introduced at the beginning of next month. The peacock will be kept in my sump for a week or so to get it used to accepting frozen chunks of food from me before being added to my main display, I'm hoping I can tame it a little so that it is less aggressive in the long run... I have loads of snails and I will be buying a hundred or so feeder shrimp when Im ready to show him to his new tank.