PDA

View Full Version : Longnose Hawkfish + Possum Wrasse?

adoptaspork
04/19/2016, 07:37 AM
Hello!
I am wondering if a longnose hawkfish would bother a yellow striped possum wrasse? Mine seems to be a pretty peaceful character and doesn't bother my shrimp or crabs. He just perches all day long and begs for food. The tank has lots of live rock with caves and hiding spots that nobody ever touches.

juniorrocketdad
04/19/2016, 07:46 AM
Unlikely my long nose is very peaceful you should be good to go

Nina51
04/19/2016, 07:49 AM
i have 2 in my tank and they never bother anything although i can't have shrimp. i'm surprised that you still have yours!

bat21
04/19/2016, 07:55 AM
My clowns chase everyone away from their rock except my possum wrasse. He just glides on by and they don't care. Take that for what it's worth.

adoptaspork
04/19/2016, 10:16 AM
Awesome; thanks, guys!
I've always thought the possum wrasse was a beautiful fish and I want a wrasse in this tank to flit about the rockwork like my sixline in the other tank without the worry about getting another sixline and having it be a jerk (my other one is a model citizen, but I don't want to test my luck...)! I don't mind a bit of a shy fish, either. I appreciate all of their individual personalities!

I was a little bit worried at first about the hawkfish and the shrimp being together, but he pays them no mind! In fact, sometimes the cleaner shrimp tries to grab him and clean and he kind of lets it happen for a second, then resists and runs away LOL.

Nina51
04/19/2016, 11:55 AM
when i had a single hawkfish, it lived with a cleaner shrimp for a year or more. when i added the second hawkfish, the cleaner shrimp became a buffet.

Reef Frog
04/19/2016, 01:44 PM
Does anyone have direct experience or even an opinion on putting a Long Nose Hawkfish in with a Yellow Clown Goby, a Geometric Perchlet, yellow assessor, Midas & Tail Spot Blennies. I have a 65g mature mixed reef.

The YCG is sometimes said to be safe due to an unpleasant tasting slime coating. True?

The Geometric Perchlet is adept at hiding, is very observant, fast & elusive. But the adult size is smaller than the adult Long Nose and I fear it could be on the lunch menu, especially since both are perchers. Also concerned about the assessors & blennies because of their swimming style.

So does the Long Nose hawk fish have a big appetite for fish? What are my odds of of success by adding a small one (last fish), keeping it well fed and hoping he leaves the other tank mates in peace. Or would this be a foolish decision? Please tell me your experience(s), good or bad.

Nina51
04/19/2016, 03:31 PM
i've had a hawkfish in every tank i have ever had. i've never had a problem. they are very peaceful, they just aren't shrimp-safe. i always recommend them for the properly sized tank. they are fun to watch and they have great personalities. my 2 are always at the front glass any time they see me.

here's a funny...my most recently rescued great dane has been fascinated with my tank. i am constantly cleaning nose prints off the front glass. he will walk up to the tank and press his nose against the glass and just watch the fish. the fish all think they're gonna be fed so they gather right where samson's nose is. once they figure out he doesn't have food, all but the hawkfish swim away. they will hover right in front of his nose until he walks away. :)

adoptaspork
04/19/2016, 03:36 PM
I love our hawkfish! He's a really brilliant personality and is VERY observant. Every time something new is added to the tank, he swims up to it, stares at it for a moment, assesses it, and then goes on with the rest of his daily routine.

Nina51, noted! Don't add another hawkfish to the tank or else shrimpy may end up being a buffet! LOL. As it is, my cleaner shrimp will literally steal food out of the hawkfish's mouth and then pedal away and eat it in a corner. Although the hawk could easily rip him apart, he just takes it. Maybe he's a wimp.

juniorrocketdad
04/22/2016, 12:27 PM
Alone or in pairs hawkfish are peaceful to fish other than other hawkfish, the geometric perch let is actually a type of hawkfish so I would not recommend putting them together