PDA

View Full Version : BioCube Filtration?

GaG8tor
04/19/2016, 10:08 AM
I just acquired a 29 BioCube from a neighbor whose son passed. The tank was in terrible shape and took my GF and I a whole day scrubbing and scraping to get it clean. I have the sand bed and two pieces of live rock that were established in the tank. It's been running now for about 10 days with new water. No fish, just 6 hermits and 6 snails from the LFS. I'm using the BioCube skimmer which I've heard is junk but it fits and I think it's working OK. There are bio balls in the second chamber with the carbon filter pad and the sponge and return pump in the third chamber. I've also heard to ditch the bio balls. Just wondering what I should really do filter wise to start this thing off properly.

ReefWreak
04/19/2016, 11:17 AM
Better skimmer and empty back sections. I'd keep it simple, and you can expand as you go.

If you want to put something back there, I still like the idea of making a refugium back there, just use an external light (I used a 10w led floodlight from eBay) shining into the second chamber, and let algae grow there, just scrape the walls when it's time for a water change, and siphon the scraped algae out with the old water.

Other filtration? You'll get a million opinions. It's start with removing bioballs and sponges. Then you can add carbon and gfo if desired. Maybe purigen. But honestly less is more, particularly when getting started.

DavidGraves
04/19/2016, 11:42 AM
I would add more rock and remove the bio balls. The biocube skimmer will work but the air stone has to be replaced monthly. The aquatic life 115 is preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homer1475
04/19/2016, 11:48 AM
Better skimmer and empty back sections. I'd keep it simple, and you can expand as you go.

If you want to put something back there, I still like the idea of making a refugium back there, just use an external light (I used a 10w led floodlight from eBay) shining into the second chamber, and let algae grow there, just scrape the walls when it's time for a water change, and siphon the scraped algae out with the old water.

Other filtration? You'll get a million opinions. It's start with removing bioballs and sponges. Then you can add carbon and gfo if desired. Maybe purigen. But honestly less is more, particularly when getting started.

This x1000

In my biocube I runt eh AL115 skimmer in the first chamber, InTank media rack(filter floss, purigen, and whatever I feel like putting in the bottom), and mj1200 pump to feed a reactor in the second chamber. Heater, ATO float switch, and return pump in the third chamber.

I've been reading it more and more from the experienced reefers around here, "KISS". Or Keep It Simple Stupid

GaG8tor
04/19/2016, 12:26 PM
Thank you guys. I'm all for the less is more, KISS methods. I plan to add more rock for sure. Just wondering should it be live or dry. Will definitely scrap the balls. Probably gonna stick with this skimmer for a while. I am using a new air pump and a new stone on the skimmer. I've been out of it for a while and didn't intend to get back in the game at this point in time it kinda just happened. In 10 days I've gone from zero to two tanks and a third still boxed.