PDA

View Full Version : Chevron Tangs

itz frank
04/19/2016, 11:02 AM
Talk to me about chevron tang's. It appears that there's no primer for these guys.

RC Tang list shows minimum 100gal and 4ft. LA shows 180gal minimum.

So... I know bigger is better but I have a 5ft 130ish and I'm working out the direction of my bioload. Up until recently, 5 minutes ago, I was considering forgoing tangs and working with Gen. Angels as my larger fish. Only because of the tangs available to me in my size tank.

I'm probably at least 2 months away from pulling the trigger and placing in QT.

Anything I should know? I'm not a fan of yellow tangs or purples. I might consider a scopas instead but again... What about Chevron?

ca1ore
04/19/2016, 11:14 AM
No primer because it's not generally considered to be a difficult fish I imagine. Pretty much like any other bristle - detritivore that needs lots of grazing for slime algae, etc. It should be fine in a 5 ft tank.

itz frank
04/19/2016, 11:30 AM
No primer because it's not generally considered to be a difficult fish I imagine. Pretty much like any other bristle - detritivore that needs lots of grazing for slime algae, etc. It should be fine in a 5 ft tank.

Yea, I figured. I just didn't want to have to ask this question. I searched and didn't find much. I tend to be useless as well.

snorvich
04/19/2016, 11:37 AM

This. Easy fish.

jbvdhp
04/19/2016, 02:27 PM
Peaceful fish. Eats everything. Including crap. It's pretty gross.

However, I for one, prefer the adult colors much more than the juvi.
http://d1iraxgbwuhpbw.cloudfront.net/images/species/cthaw_u1.jpg

Sent using your IP address

Ross33
04/19/2016, 03:42 PM
Cool fish as a juvie, get the smallest one you can find.

OrionN
04/19/2016, 08:51 PM
Somebody need to change the RC tank size recommendation for tangs. There are a few recommendations that seem to be off the wall, IMO.

Mimic tang 75 gal 4 feet
My experience is that this is a large fast moving tang need considerable larger tank than 75 gal. Mine in a 450 grew really fast, with streamers too.

Chevron tang 100 gal 5 feet
This guy grow pretty fast in my tank, get larger much quicker than Yellow or Purple tangs. Likely end up larger too.

Scopas tang 75 gal 4 feet
This really does not make sense. Scopas is a much larger tang then the yellow tang.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>

OrionN
04/19/2016, 08:52 PM
Cool fish as a juvie, get the smallest one you can find.
Cool fish as an adult too. Really beautiful. The subtle pastern is outstanding. Hard to take a good picture of him.

brett559
04/20/2016, 09:56 AM
Huge sale for juvi:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+871+335&pcatid=335

$100 off!!

I love this fish. My LFS has had one in their display tank for several years now. Has grown VERY slowly. The juvi colors are so pretty. It's only now starting to get the adult colors. Awesome fish.

kmbyrnes
04/20/2016, 09:36 PM
Great fish. I would think a 5' tank will be fine.

ca1ore
04/20/2016, 10:53 PM
Juvenile colors are wonderful, as are the intermediary and adult colorations. Agree that it's hard to capture this fish well in photographs.