PDA

View Full Version : Kalk reactor question

wddamf
04/19/2016, 11:14 AM
Can I assume that if there is powder slurry in the bottom of the reactor that I am producing saturated lime water? I'm wondering how to determine when to add more powder. Does the slurry ever become exhausted the point where it needs to be removed?

thanks,

Dan

sixpackgarage
04/19/2016, 01:34 PM
I check alk daily and also monitor pH via Apex. I look at peaks and valleys. For me, when night time pH drops below 8, I know it's time to recharge kalk. I like to also see a daytime peak of 8.2 to 8.3. Once those peaks and valleys drop, I add kalk. For my setup, about 2 heaping tablespoons per week does me right.

wddamf
04/19/2016, 03:54 PM
When you need to recharge, is there any slurry left in the bottom of the reactor?

sixpackgarage
04/19/2016, 05:04 PM
When you need to recharge, is there any slurry left in the bottom of the reactor?

Yes. There is always going to be some. Probably 3" roughly of slurry. That doesn't matter, because only the clear liquid on the top is dispensed into the tank. The only time you would introduce slurry is if your pump was stuck on for some reason. I use a Tunze ATO and it has a shutoff timer in case the level sensor fails.

buildinboats
04/19/2016, 05:59 PM
I put a pH probe in the lid of the stirrer. When new kalk is added it reads around 12.4-12.5. When the powder on the bottom gets close to being depleted the pH drops to around 12.2

Aqua Man 07
04/19/2016, 06:01 PM
How often f o you guys clean out the reactor. I'm setting up a geo 618.