PDA

View Full Version : where to get quality corksrew gorgs?

Devaji108
04/19/2016, 01:14 PM
looking for some corkscrews gorgs. as they have become one of my favs.
I pan on keep an order from KP but they dont seam to have them. and I see SH tanks with them in quite alot.

so where do you get em?

Devaji108
05/30/2016, 11:54 PM
another name is spiral wire coral..
anyone?

jefra
06/25/2016, 12:20 PM
I bought one from Pacific East Aquaculture and it's been doing well. It's sold as a "Corky Finger EcoGorgonian." Since it's encrusting I'm sure you get it to grow on a corkscrew shaped structure.

cpbartak
09/13/2016, 10:24 AM
Here's some I found yesterday: http://www.archetypeaquariums.com/collections/cirrhipathes-wire-corals

laga77
09/14/2016, 07:00 AM
Here's some I found yesterday: http://www.archetypeaquariums.com/collections/cirrhipathes-wire-corals

That site has listed those as 'sold out" for about three years running.

Devaji108
09/14/2016, 06:13 PM
^ ah man I was getting excited..

i'll go check out pacific east aquaculture. thanks for the heads up. I have & gorgs in my tank and loving them.

laga77
09/15/2016, 06:50 AM
If you find any please let me know. I have 5 specimens now and will take more.

Devaji108
09/15/2016, 09:55 PM
haha oops that was supposed to be " I have 5 gorgs in my tank and love them"

yes I will for sure been looking around for a while but no luck.

tell me about your laga.
what are you feeding?
how often
etc.
pic to plz :D

laga77
09/16/2016, 05:02 PM
I spot feed every day with BBS which is hatched daily and also San Francisco Brand Reef Plankton. Here are a few photos I can find.

Devaji108
09/21/2016, 10:18 AM
very nice!
what is the gorg. in the 1st pic the bigger one?

DanConnor
10/31/2016, 01:08 PM
Any luck finding these? As I'm sure you figured out, growing a corky finger on a spiral doth not a wire coral make.

The NPS section of divers den is a good place to keep an eye on.

laga77
11/15/2016, 08:24 AM
Got one

cpbartak
11/26/2016, 09:46 AM
Where did you find it? Been looking online for some for awhile.

laga77
11/26/2016, 09:50 AM
Where did you find it? Been looking online for some for awhile.

I got it locally. I have not seen one online in 3-4 years

velvetelvis
12/03/2016, 10:59 AM
Corkscrew gorgonians are non-photosynthetic and difficult to keep over long periods of time. They require heavy feeding and most likely won't do well being used as a hitching post for your seahorses.

Look into photosynthetic gorgonians instead. KP Aquatics sells Caribbean and Atlantic species. They're much easier to keep than the corkscrew gorgonians. There's also a photosynthetic gorgonian from the Indo-Pacific called Pinnigorgia flava (often called Grube's Gorgonian) that is a pretty pinkish color, hardy, and fast-growing.

vlangel
12/03/2016, 12:23 PM
Corkscrew gorgonians are non-photosynthetic and difficult to keep over long periods of time. They require heavy feeding and most likely won't do well being used as a hitching post for your seahorses.

Look into photosynthetic gorgonians instead. KP Aquatics sells Caribbean and Atlantic species. They're much easier to keep than the corkscrew gorgonians. There's also a photosynthetic gorgonian from the Indo-Pacific called Pinnigorgia flava (often called Grube's Gorgonian) that is a pretty pinkish color, hardy, and fast-growing.
Yes, the photosynthetic varieties are what I keep. I would be afraid that heavy feeding of the gorgs could possibly feed pathogenic bacterias as well.

Devaji108
12/06/2016, 02:04 PM
Got one

nice!!
keep us posted on how it does. looks like a beauty!

Devaji108
12/06/2016, 02:09 PM

yeah I have every gorg. KP offers except the orange tree.
i'll look in the that indo pacific just what I need.thats for the heads up.

yeah I know the corkscrew are NPS was just trying to find a source and experience for them. I ended up got a mixed reef with fish and not SH. but still love gorges and one day will set up a SH tank..

velvetelvis
12/06/2016, 06:15 PM
yeah I have every gorg. KP offers except the orange tree.
i'll look in the that indo pacific just what I need.thats for the heads up.

yeah I know the corkscrew are NPS was just trying to find a source and experience for them. I ended up got a mixed reef with fish and not SH. but still love gorges and one day will set up a SH tank..

Diver's Den sometimes offers cultured corkscrew/wire gorgonians. I haven't seen any in a while, but then again I haven't been looking for them either.

I love gorgs too. My SW tank is dedicated to photosynthetic Caribbean gorgonians, blue Ricordea, and a couple of hardy Caribbean sponges.

Devaji108
12/07/2016, 11:42 AM
nice sounds like my tank to. I think gorgs are over looked in this hobby.
I just got the red tree sponge for my reef and the small yellow sponge for my nano.

would love to see a pic of your tank. post or PM!