PDA

View Full Version : clownfish has worms? help please

Mr.Fish23
04/19/2016, 02:12 PM
yesterday i noticed one of my four clownfish had something hanging like a piece of poop but it wouldn't break off. it was white/clear and had some black near the middle/top kind of looked like some mysis shrimp. i took some pictures, after about 20 mins i went back to look and it wasn't there anymore. today i was looking and a different clown and he has sorta the same thing but this has some more black then the other one (see pics below).

some back ground : i got my fish from aquarium creations online inc. all fish seemed fine no problems but maybe 3-4 days later i noticed all of them had ich bad i called the guy i got them from and he said the tang might have had it and during the transport the stress could of brought it out. well i get chem-marin stop parasite and i dose for 5 days yesterday being the fifth day. i haven't seen any improvement on the ich still white spots all over my two tangs and clownfish so i decided to dose directly into the tank instead of the sump and after just two doses it looks like theres less spots on them. at first i bought four clownfish and my tangs but one clownfish disappeared and i couldn't find him anywhere, but the three clowns and the tangs where having fun swimming around and plying in the power heads. well i went to petco a couple days later to buy 1 more clown so i could have four again all small. but as soon as i put that fourth one in the clowns started to all hang/ hide under this ridge i have and only yesterday when they finally started to swim around the tank again after about a week did i notice the "worm" so im not sure if its a worm because three of the four finally came out and were swimming around the tank instead of all hiding under the ridge. could that be because the ich or some other sickness? (them hiding and not swimming around like they used to before there newest tank mate

so is it a worm? is it just poop or some mysis shrimp that didn't get digested?? i don't know but anyone please help my tank just started and its already has issues like this :(

ps. not sure what that string is? i have a dog that sheds a ton and a cat so could that be hair? but its attached to a rock and i see them attached to snails and they always have white dots all over them any help.

Thanks for everyone's help! :)

Mr.Fish23
04/19/2016, 08:33 PM
anyone?

Mr.Fish23
04/19/2016, 08:38 PM
also should I set up a QT? one with all the fish and then one with all the snails and shrimps? or just leave the inverts in the display tank and treat there?
the only tank I have is a 55 and idk if that can fit 7 clowns and two tangs for two months with no live rock. I would do a hob filter and water changes every other day or so, also pvc in the tank for them to hide a heater and power head no sand thou not sure if that matters?

Mr.Fish23
04/19/2016, 08:39 PM
anyone help please

Randyp79
04/19/2016, 08:42 PM
My clownfish had the white stringy poop of death. I mixed seachem focus with metroplex (metronidazole) and mysis. If your fish are still eating it may work for you, it did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Fish23
04/19/2016, 09:07 PM
most of them are but one clown stays at the bottom and only goes for what comes close doesn't look like he gets much thou.

so are you saying that's what you think that is? poop?

cody3819
04/19/2016, 09:28 PM
most of them are but one clown stays at the bottom and only goes for what comes close doesn't look like he gets much thou.

so are you saying that's what you think that is? poop?
No, it's more than likely a parasite.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mr.Fish23
04/19/2016, 10:34 PM
Awesome thanks, I plan on putting my fish in a QT tank and dose with copper but I'm about to have 7 clowns and I have two tangs and I don't think they will all fit in a 55 gallon was thinking about getting another 40 gallon and split the fish up and just have HOB filters for both

Randyp79
04/20/2016, 07:55 AM
No, it's a parasite that causes the white stringy poop. IMO, metro is more effective for treating internal GI parasites than praziquantel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krullshards
04/20/2016, 08:09 AM
also should I set up a QT? one with all the fish and then one with all the snails and shrimps? or just leave the inverts in the display tank and treat there?
the only tank I have is a 55 and idk if that can fit 7 clowns and two tangs for two months with no live rock. I would do a hob filter and water changes every other day or so, also pvc in the tank for them to hide a heater and power head no sand thou not sure if that matters?

How big are your clowns? 55 is a pretty big tank. The tangs generally need room to swim, but that isn't going to be alleviated by getting a 40..

Get a cheap sponge filter for the 55 and that should be able to harbor enough bacteria to get you through your treatment/fallow period. But, also check to see what kind of fallow period you need. I think someone said earlier that flukes are 4 weeks and with the internal parasite you are talking about, I'm not sure if that applies.

Seed the sponge with biospira or Stability (my favorite) and keep an eye on ammonia. http://www.amazon.com/XY-380-Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter/dp/B0051XIN78/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1461161201&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=spone+filter

IMO your 55 should be ok..

Mr.Fish23
04/20/2016, 10:50 AM
I have three that are about 1.5" and the rest are an inch or under. I was thinking 8 weeks in QT and I would use metroplex and focus. Today I saw some big white circles on my blue tang and a couple of my clowns have some weird bumps on their first strip, I can't tell if it's the circles like the tang or something else, but the clowns have it in the same spots in the strip.

I'm think it's a fungus ? I will try to post pictures.

Mr.Fish23
04/20/2016, 06:01 PM
this is what i saw on my tang and clowns today

Mr.Fish23
04/20/2016, 06:03 PM
How big are your clowns? 55 is a pretty big tank. The tangs generally need room to swim, but that isn't going to be alleviated by getting a 40..

Get a cheap sponge filter for the 55 and that should be able to harbor enough bacteria to get you through your treatment/fallow period. But, also check to see what kind of fallow period you need. I think someone said earlier that flukes are 4 weeks and with the internal parasite you are talking about, I'm not sure if that applies.

Seed the sponge with biospira or Stability (my favorite) and keep an eye on ammonia. http://www.amazon.com/XY-380-Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter/dp/B0051XIN78/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1461161201&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=spone+filter

IMO your 55 should be ok..

when you say seed do you mean just soak the sponge in some stability? for how long? and then im guessing putting it in the
QT correct? and then just replace it when i start to see my lvls rise?

krullshards
04/20/2016, 07:06 PM
when you say seed do you mean just soak the sponge in some stability? for how long? and then im guessing putting it in the
QT correct? and then just replace it when i start to see my lvls rise?

Well, perhaps I misspoke. Just follow the directions for the stability with the sponge in the tank. You could actually pour it above or near the sponge.

I've had very good luck with Stability. Biospira was good for ammonia too, but not as good for nitrite.

Mr.Fish23
04/20/2016, 08:20 PM
So the bigger spots in the tang are just ich as well? He started to graze the sand. And the dots on the clown, not sure if that's normal or not?

Mr.Fish23
04/20/2016, 08:23 PM
And ok I'll pick up stability tomorrow I have some prime would that work?
I plan on transferring the water from my DT to my QT tomorrow and then do hyposalnaity. Any tips on doing that? Right now my DT is at 1.026

Mr.Fish23
04/20/2016, 09:08 PM
Well, perhaps I misspoke. Just follow the directions for the stability with the sponge in the tank. You could actually pour it above or near the sponge.

I've had very good luck with Stability. Biospira was good for ammonia too, but not as good for nitrite.

Also your saying put stability in while the fish are in there? Or before the first are in there?

Mr.Fish23
04/21/2016, 08:55 AM
Can anyone help me identify the disease(s) ich for sure but the blue tang has a couple more big white spots I'm about to get seachem cupramine but should I get metro also? I can't afford to plan ahead right now so I only can get what I need to treat them.

krullshards
04/22/2016, 02:30 PM
Also your saying put stability in while the fish are in there? Or before the first are in there?

It doesn't really matter.

Also, Prime and Stability are two different things. Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite immediately but only for a short period, whereas Stability is a bacteria in a bottle product to help get your QT cycled quickly.

You are looking to run your QT for a while while your tank is fallow, which is why you would want to cycle your QT.

Mr.Fish23
04/22/2016, 03:21 PM
Ok I understand. I just finished freshwater dipping all my fish with ro water for 5 min each all look good and a few ate when I fed them. I dosed malachite green about 55 ml (5.5) cap fulls. It says to do it then the next day do a 24 hour water change and then a second MAY be needed. Is one dose strong enough to kill brooklynella or velvet? I also plan on do swing copper in a few days after the green treatment.
Thank for all your help .

Btw I got a sponge and put stability in the QT yesterday and it ran over night I also put prime in the tank today to help with ammonia.

Mr.Fish23
04/22/2016, 03:59 PM
It doesn't really matter.

Also, Prime and Stability are two different things. Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite immediately but only for a short period, whereas Stability is a bacteria in a bottle product to help get your QT cycled quickly.

You are looking to run your QT for a while while your tank is fallow, which is why you would want to cycle your QT.

here are some pictures

Mr.Fish23
04/22/2016, 04:44 PM
i get my other 3 fish on wednesday making the 7 clowns but should i call where i getting them from and them to push it back untill after the 10 weeks and them they will have the QT all to themsefls? i plan on doseing copper at .25 for 14 days, i read thats the same as .5 for 7 just easier on the fish.

so should i wait to get the fish untill after the 10 weeks? or just let them come on wednesday and treat them with copper with the rest? im going to be doseiing them with copper either way just now get it out of the way.

Mr.Fish23
04/22/2016, 04:46 PM
themselves**