PDA

View Full Version : Ich question

Joeb1983
04/19/2016, 08:45 PM
I've been in the hobby just a few years.

My very first tank I didn't QT any fish... (I know)

I picked up a yellow tang as a rescue, it had a pinched belly and HLLE.

A few days after introduction it came down with ich which spread to my coral beauty.

Less than a week later, all visible signs where gone...

That was 2 years ago and now they are fat and happy and never had another outbreak since.

All signs of HLLE on the tang healed without scaring.

All I did was feed a wide variety of enriched foods and used stress coat.

Anyways, on to the reason for this thread, I have a 60 cube I now use for a QT tank.

I recently purchased a powder brown tang (for my 72x24x15) and the next day it broke out with ich in the 60.

I got it eating nori with garlic off a clip, mysis, and NLS pellets.

Today the fish is clean with no spots and is more active than I've ever seen and its shredding through nori.

The QT tank does have rock and sand as it was once established with a pair of clowns I've since sold long ago.

Would you recommend I treat the tank with or just transfer the fish when the time comes?

Joeb1983
04/19/2016, 09:16 PM
Did some reading (probably should have done that before the thread, sorry)

Looks like I'm in the stage where the parasite has left the fish and is now in the sand bed multiplying and getting ready to unleash another wave.

If I treat with copper will it kill it in the sand?

Should I set up another tank bare bottom and place the fish there to treat? (Stress the fish more?)

Obviously, I'm not the brightest... Lol!

I'll do whatever. Any help would be much appreciated.

snorvich
04/20/2016, 02:55 AM
Did some reading (probably should have done that before the thread, sorry)

Looks like I'm in the stage where the parasite has left the fish and is now in the sand bed multiplying and getting ready to unleash another wave.

If I treat with copper will it kill it in the sand?

Should I set up another tank bare bottom and place the fish there to treat? (Stress the fish more?)

Obviously, I'm not the brightest... Lol!

I'll do whatever. Any help would be much appreciated.

Best is tank transfer (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428). You cannot treat in a tank with rock or sand.

Joeb1983
04/20/2016, 11:18 AM
Best is tank transfer (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428). You cannot treat in a tank with rock or sand.

That's what I figured... I have two 20 longs I could do this method with.

Thanks for the reply Steve. :beer:

snorvich
04/20/2016, 03:16 PM
That's what I figured... I have two 20 longs I could do this method with.

Thanks for the reply Steve. :beer:

Those would be fine.

Joeb1983
04/26/2016, 09:31 AM
Removed the tang from the "QT" (with sand and rock ) as I set up the 20 longs and brought to the same temp, salinity and PH as the 60.

Kept it bare bottom and added two 4" PVC tubes. One as a column and the other as a tunnel.

I used an extra MP10 for some flow and added a small pump and air-stone.

The day I made the transfer, the powder brown started showing spots again...

I waited ~60 hours and made the switch to the second 20 long as it was looking worse than it had before.

As with any fish on the way out, It started breathing heavy, lost it appetite and sadly was all downhill from there.

The next morning it was belly up.

I ordered some Cupramine, but it got here too late and I never had the chance to use it.

So far, everyone I know personally has not been able to keep any Powders (Blue or Brown) for more than a week.

I tried a powder blue 2 years ago and its was dead the next morning.

^ With that said, I will not be trying anymore with these fish.