PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with seahorse fry?

Jeff4777
04/20/2016, 09:00 AM
Well my seahorses have regularly been having babies now and I was just curious what you guys do with the fry. This morning they popped out a lot.. I plan on raising them but not for a few months because that is when my wife and I will have the time to raise them.

I'd imagine even if breeding, there is no way to attempt to raise all the fry without making it a full time job and then some at least. Considering how often it happens, especially with 2 different pairs mating. So do you all just let them get sucked into filtration, manually remove them, ect?

rayjay
04/20/2016, 09:31 AM
Why not advertise that you have a regular supply and see if some other hobbyists are willing to take them.
If no takers here then post on seahorse.org.

Jeff4777
04/20/2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the input. As a result I just spoke to a LFS owner who I have a good relationship with, hes going to take them off my hands.

Even then who knows if any will make it but better than having a 0% chance by getting sucked into my filtration. I can see them eating pods off the glass too so its sad.. ;\.

In the future I'll see if anyone reputable locally will take them (not someone who will post seahorse fry on craigslist for 5 dollars a pop). If that fails I'll post on RC/seahorse.org until I begin to raise them myself.

Jeff4777
04/21/2016, 12:24 AM
What else do you guys do with them? The idea of sending them by mail to another hobbyist doesn't sound appealing and I don't want to do that. Wouldn't mind meeting someone locally though.

Should only have a few more batches of fry before were ready to raise them anyways!

vlangel
04/21/2016, 07:02 AM
I raised my fry once but it was so much work and so difficult to find consciencious homes after they were grown that I never did it again. A lfs that had a dedicated seahorse system took my young seahorses that I raised and now he also takes my fry. He gives them to a customer to try and raise and she can keep a percentage if she is successful.

CritterHeaven
04/21/2016, 08:42 AM
Its not to hard to fedex them to someone at their expense. Take a look at seahorse.org I think there are some threads on there on the easiest set up for shipping fry.

I know I would be interested in raising some again depending on the species

BlueCat1949
04/21/2016, 09:07 AM
Well my seahorses have regularly been having babies now and I was just curious what you guys do with the fry. This morning they popped out a lot.. I plan on raising them but not for a few months because that is when my wife and I will have the time to raise them.

I'd imagine even if breeding, there is no way to attempt to raise all the fry without making it a full time job and then some at least. Considering how often it happens, especially with 2 different pairs mating. So do you all just let them get sucked into filtration, manually remove them, ect?

What species are they?

rayjay
04/21/2016, 09:43 AM
Should only have a few more batches of fry before were ready to raise them anyways!
IME, even when you decide to raise some yourself, you are STILL going to have a lot of batches you won't want to be handling yourself as it is a very time consuming experience doing multiple batches.
In your case, with two pair of producing seahorses, you will just double that scenario.

CritterHeaven
04/21/2016, 10:10 AM
What species are they?

If the avatar is anything to go by I would say erectus! I would take some from you but would have to be shipped!