PDA

View Full Version : Kessil Controller Question

Chicagoreef2016
04/20/2016, 10:19 AM
I have a 60 gallon cube, and have settled on the Kessil 360 Tuna Blue light. I am trying to figure out which controller, if any, I should get and why. I know the Apex has more functionality built in overall, but do I need that over the Spectral Controller? Do they effectively do the same thing from a light control perspective? Thanks!

robertsk
04/20/2016, 01:42 PM
Kessil spectral controller is more limited to settings it has only 5 day slots that you can modulate, but thats enough if you dont want a cloud passing over tank etc.. I am running two a360ws with it and im satisfied but planning to upgrade to apex next year.

mitchb
04/20/2016, 02:53 PM
Big cost difference. I have both apex and Spectral controller. The apex has a more flexibility but the Kessil controller is just fine and I use it for my lighting; I use the Apex variable ports for my pumps.

Brieninsac
04/21/2016, 10:34 AM
I think a lot of it depends on if you are planning on controlling other devices with a controller like the Apex. I really don't have that type of need so I just went with the Spectra Controller and couldn't be happier. It offers all the customization I desire at a lower price.

BTW, they hold their value so if you decide later to go the Apex route you can sell it for $20 less than you paid for it.

bmitchell138
04/21/2016, 10:42 AM
I'm very happy with my Kessil a360we and Spektral controller. Its easy to set up and controls the light just fine for me. Like the others said, it depends on what you want to do with the light schedule.

Chicagoreef2016
04/21/2016, 01:28 PM
Beautiful, this confirms what I thought. I will go the Spectral route for now.

CrayolaViolence
04/22/2016, 02:32 PM
When I finally got a hold of kessil to ask some much needed questions about light settings, the guy who I spoke with (and one of the upper guys in the tech department) said he just turns his on, leaves it, then turns it off when needed. He doesn't do the whole ramping up, then down thing throughout the day. He says hit corals do just fine that way. Considering the idea of lights raising and lowering is rather new (at least from what I understand as metal halides could be set to come on for so many hours but they didn't brighten and dim) do we really need to raise and lower the light? Also, what are people's thoughts on total darkness at night? I know with the kessils you can only go down to 5% at the lowest so they are still on with 0 blue (the bluest) unless you set it to completely turn off. I know some people like moonlight LEDs but I've never really seen much benefit from them other than looking neat.
I've done mine both ways and I admit, my corals seem to like having "night light" left on for them even if I run my light at a very, very, low setting throughout the day due to the shallowness of my tank. I do slightly ramp them up though, not much, just cause they don't seem to like it.

jml1149
04/22/2016, 03:18 PM
Sure to run the Apex is expensive, but man I couldn't imagine running a reef tank without one. All of the dosing, lighting, pump profiles, on off schedules, even for a small tank. So it's not wasted money.

CrayolaViolence
04/22/2016, 03:27 PM
It seems like having something do all the work kind of takes away something from it being a hobby. At least to me. I mean, most hobbies are some work, that's why you do them, the whole process part. But then maybe if I had an Apex I'd think differently. I don't know, I just really enjoy the hands on part with the tank.

mattyg18
04/22/2016, 09:12 PM
Newbie here with the A360WE and just picked up the spectral controller last week. I'm very happy with it so far. No Complaints from me and my corals love it.