PDA

View Full Version : Life Cycle of Flukes

Ostri
04/20/2016, 11:31 AM
What is the life cycle of flukes? Do they come off the fish to lay eggs or the adult form stays on the fish?

I'm asking this question because Seachem says that many medicines are ineffective against flukes that are attached to the body with slime coat protection. They are only effective when the flukes come off. But the question here is that - do they come off? How long does an adult live/stay on the host?

krullshards
04/20/2016, 12:57 PM
Snorvich has recently directed folks to this sticky:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388423

Ostri
04/20/2016, 01:55 PM
Snorvich has recently directed folks to this sticky:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388423

It doesn't state if the adults drop off the host to lay eggs. Another research article I was reading stated that the longevity at 26C, 35 %o to be 20 hrs.

Edit: The longevity data is oncomiracidia only.

Ostri
04/20/2016, 02:10 PM
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0108801

krullshards
04/20/2016, 02:38 PM
It doesn't state if the adults drop off the host to lay eggs. Another research article I was reading stated that the longevity at 26C, 35 %o to be 20 hrs.

Edit: The longevity data is oncomiracidia only.

Fish Disease - Diagnosis and Treatment seems to indicate that there are two types of egg layers, the more common ones are where the eggs sink to the bottom and develop. The rarer ones attach egg bundles to the fish's gills. Wow. I just skimmed real quick so there could be more.

krullshards
04/20/2016, 02:39 PM
That's for the monogeneans, I'm not sure about trematodes. The book gets pretty technical/detailed and I haven't sat down and read in detail yet.

carrots
04/20/2016, 02:54 PM
I was taught by a marine fish importer that I worked for, that the best fluke treatment was 5-10 minute freshwater dips. If you do them in a clear plastic bag you will see the flukes drop off. Some fluke lay eggs on the gills and fresh water dips don't kill the eggs. Thus the need for a second dip 7 days later. We did this treatment on every angelfish that came in and I was always amazed at how came off a clean looking fish.

Ostri
04/20/2016, 07:59 PM
I was taught by a marine fish importer that I worked for, that the best fluke treatment was 5-10 minute freshwater dips. If you do them in a clear plastic bag you will see the flukes drop off. Some fluke lay eggs on the gills and fresh water dips don't kill the eggs. Thus the need for a second dip 7 days later. We did this treatment on every angelfish that came in and I was always amazed at how came off a clean looking fish.

I definitely won't doubt the effectiveness of FW dipping. The only thing I worry about is the eggs that are currently in the tank already. How should I kill them off? The tank is very big and getting fish out is quite hard.

Ostri
04/21/2016, 12:23 AM

Another question I have is if dwarf angels are sensitive to freshwater dipping. I'm not sure how long FW should go for but one research paper indicated 3 - 5mins are sufficient.

Dmorty217
04/21/2016, 06:23 AM
Another question I have is if dwarf angels are sensitive to freshwater dipping. I'm not sure how long FW should go for but one research paper indicated 3 - 5mins are sufficient.

Use formalin then you don't have to worry about the freshwater dip. It takes 5-7 days for most eggs to hatch hence why PP says to retreat in 5-7 days