PDA

View Full Version : Mandarins

gr8birds
04/20/2016, 10:55 PM
I have 2 young spotted mandarins in my tank. They are both eating very well and swimming all over the place. My question is, since they are too young to tell if they are male/female yet, what exactly should I look for? The smaller one, who is quite fiesty, will almost nip the larger on the head, and try and almost sit on it's back. No fin or neck grabbing like I have seen in videos It's not a fight, there is no sparring going on, but the small one will almost herd the other one and then sit on top of it. The larger one seems to tolerate the smaller, and usually swims away if it can. Any thoughts?

snorvich
04/21/2016, 05:05 AM
Two in a 30 gallon aquarium?

OrionN
04/21/2016, 05:11 AM
Two in a 30 gal will starve. Often 30 gal would not be enough for one.
I would re-home both, or at least get one out.

gr8birds
04/21/2016, 11:17 AM
I have them feeding from a feeding station that is stocked a few times a day. they are getting fat and sassy : ). I guess the question would be what BEHAVIOR should I look for ? The little one almost sits on the larger. It's weird. I have never seen this behavior.

OrionN
04/21/2016, 11:35 AM
When two males (mature?) are together, they won't stop fighting. Maybe your's are too young.
The spike of male spotted dragonet are not as prominent as the one in Green mandarin, but you should see the different between males and females. Maybe they are immature males. How big are your's
For me, I call them Spotted Dragonet, Red Mandarin Drogonet or Green Mandarin Dragonet

gr8birds
04/21/2016, 11:49 AM
The smaller one is maybe an inch and a half at most. the larger is about 2 inches

EnderG60
04/21/2016, 11:58 AM
Adult male mandarins have a long spike on the dorsal fin. Sub males do not have a spike but the front of the fin is straight. Females have a curve to the front of the fin and no spike.

I find when the male is around 2.5-3" and female around 2" they will start doing the happy dance.

Also if you do have them in a 30g tank I hope you are feeding supplemental pods at least once a week because they will eat ever last pod in that tank in a matter of 2-3 weeks and start to starve.

OrionN
04/21/2016, 01:02 PM
Your fish should have fully developed their sexual dimorphims at this size. Male Target Dragonet does not have the huge spike like Mandarin Dragonet. Below are pictures of male and female Target Dragonet. You may have two males.

Female (not my picture)
http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/fishes/synchiropus_picturatus.jpg

Male. (not my picture) This is as tall as it ever get. Other males may not even have it this long:
http://cacanhthaihoa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ca-trang-nguyen-hoa-2.jpg

gr8birds
04/21/2016, 10:09 PM
EnderG60, I have a feeding station set up that they use regularly, filled with newly hatched baby brine shrimp. It is refilled at least 3 times a day with either newly hatched or gut loaded day old baby brine. The older of the two was emaciated when I got him and he has filled out some. The younger of the two is still quite skinny but eating and is a pistol! I have a feeling if I keep that one, he/she will try and take down one of my clowns lol. The dorsal fin on that one seems more rounded and no spike. The older one hasn't given me a good look yet. Also supplement with some blackworms, but they are afraid of them. Good thing I have a great clean up crew!

SNAKEMANVET
04/22/2016, 08:30 AM
It will never mess with your clowns.If you could post a pic of each one,we might be able to tell if they are male/female.If you get lucky maybe they will start eating frozen and flake food.

gr8birds
04/22/2016, 12:48 PM
well, it seems the mystery has been solved, and now I get to go fishing. Saw what appears to be a wanna be spike on his dorsal fin. Bummer, I was hoping for some baby mandies! Thanks for all your help folks!!!

OrionN
04/22/2016, 01:43 PM
Wait until night just scoop him up when he is sleeping. Easiest way to catch Dragonet

snorvich
04/22/2016, 03:26 PM
Wait until night just scoop him up when he is sleeping. Easiest way to catch Dragonet

Yup.

ThRoewer
04/22/2016, 06:09 PM

Unless they sleep deep inside a rock crevice like my two.
I actually used a trap to catch them when I moved them over to the 100 gallon tank.

OrionN
04/22/2016, 07:10 PM
They don't sleep in the same place every night. Mine seem just drop to sleep where ever.

gr8birds
04/22/2016, 11:20 PM
Got him out pretty easily. I just moved all the coral frags that I had on the sand bed and he swam for the front of the tank and I scooped him up! He is presently in fishy jail until I can really fatten him up and then off to the next home for him.