PDA

View Full Version : ttm details

spsrookie
04/21/2016, 12:10 AM
I have read the sticky on ttm, and am still left with some questions.

Forgive me if they had been answered, I want to do this correctly, and have it planned out, not by improve.

How many fish can be done at once during ttm? I will be using prime to lock up ammonia, so that would not be my concern. I know this method is all about timing of the life cycle, but does having two or more fish add gray area into the equation?

My first thought is no, since theres no telling every parasite will drop off a fish in a single instant, so having more than one fish in a tank for 72 hours shouldn't matter potential fall off times.

I will be using 10 gallon tanks because that is what I have. In between, I will bleach out, and air dry 24 hours. Can I use the same air pump? Is there any change moisture could travel via hose to the pump? Silly question, but trying to minimize contamination.

Also, I didn't see any mention of how far apart the two ttm tanks need to be apart. Meaning, if on day one I drop fish in tank number 1, on day four, does the second tank need to be in a different room or distance from initial tank?

thanks

Dmorty217
04/21/2016, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=spsrookie;24479900]I have read the sticky on ttm, and am still left with some questions.

Forgive me if they had been answered, I want to do this correctly, and have it planned out, not by improve.

How many fish can be done at once during ttm? I will be using prime to lock up ammonia, so that would not be my concern. I know this method is all about timing of the life cycle, but does having two or more fish add gray area into the equation?

As many as you would like, its about trying to make the fish(s) comfortable and also controlling ammonia. The only way multiple fish throw a wrench into the mix is if you had one started in TTM and then added another after day 1. Count starts over if you do

My first thought is no, since theres no telling every parasite will drop off a fish in a single instant, so having more than one fish in a tank for 72 hours shouldn't matter potential fall off times.

I will be using 10 gallon tanks because that is what I have. In between, I will bleach out, and air dry 24 hours. Can I use the same air pump? Is there any change moisture could travel via hose to the pump? Silly question, but trying to minimize contamination.

Providing you change the air stone each time and use new hose (stuff is cheap) they make check valves for air pumps but I would just us new

Also, I didn't see any mention of how far apart the two ttm tanks need to be apart. Meaning, if on day one I drop fish in tank number 1, on day four, does the second tank need to be in a different room or distance from initial tank?

A few feet apart should be fine

spsrookie
04/21/2016, 08:37 AM
Ok great thank you.

I have the following fish in 75 qt now that will be going thru:

3 inch dejardini sailfin
4 inch purple tang
2 inch hepatus
5 inch Moorish idol
3 inch Achilles
3 inch emperor angel
4 inch Japanese swallowtail
2 inch Xmas wrasse
2 1 inch clowns
3 damsels

Using 10 gallon tanks, the water will be new and mixed 48 hours prior to use, thinking of doing it like this

1st group, 2 clowns, 3 damsels

2nd group sailfin tang, Xmas wrasse

3rd group purple tang, swallowtail

4th group emperor and Achilles

And last Moorish idol

By the time round one hits the display, the main tank would have been fallow just over 7 weeks.

I will probably wait one week, giving it 8 total.

May buy two more tanks, since using two would take me two.months as is.

They have been thru 5 weeks of copper, and two rounds of prazi already.
.thinking of formalin between transfers.

Anybody have a source for formalin?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dmorty217
04/21/2016, 08:55 AM
So does the 75g have ich then? I guess the question is where are all the fish going after they complete the TTM? The group thing is a good idea. I got my ms formalin off amazon but sometimes its unavailable. I would go at least 76 days fallow, not the 72 thats typically brought up

spsrookie
04/21/2016, 02:51 PM
They will be going into the display. I has to beg, kick and scream to keep the 75 running as a qt. I do not have the means to grab another tank, cycle it, and place these fish in after ttm, other than display, or 75 qt there in now. That tank has now been coppered 5 weeks, will be 6 weeks by the time I start ttm.

There method will look like this:

6 weeks in copper (tank was previously there display, rock removed)

2 rounds of prazi pro while in this 75

8 weeks fallow in main tank (new tank, with previously live rock and coral)

4 ttm transfer, 3 days apart, heading into display.

In a perfect world, I would have a sterile 75 waiting for them to observe.

I have to be thankful she lets me have display, let alone quarantine. To get another tank would come along with receipt and divorce paper work

spsrookie
04/21/2016, 02:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Vet-Formalin-MS-32-oz/dp/B000O3EI2Y

Is that the formalin there?

Would it be over kill to use this, they all have had at least 4 weeks copper exposure, and have not showed signs of brook or anything else

Dmorty217
04/22/2016, 06:08 AM
Yes thats the formalin. I have only ever used formalin as a bath for 45 mins at 20 drops per gallon, nothing more than that though