PDA

View Full Version : Can a freestanding steel shelve unit be used for basement sump and fuge?

drew930
04/21/2016, 08:32 AM
Was just wondering if steel freestanding shelves can be used to put a fuge and sump on.

Didn't know if it would rust ? If so, could a paint or seal be used to help ?

In my case, I was thinking of a 4-5 tier unit. 40g breeder for fuge on 3rd shelve from bottom ... Then a 75g sump on 2nd shelve from bottom.

Says 1,000-2,000lbs per shelve but just curious. 40g would only hold about 25-30g. 75 gallon would probably have no more than 40 gallons in it.

Most have steel wire or wood shelves. Maybe add a piece of plywood for even surface. Actually more worried about the 40g. With a 48" shelve width, the 75 would be supported on the ends, but the 36" 40gallon would have most weight in the middle of the boards. But at 280-320lbs not sure if a cross brace would matter.

Last thing I would want is the 40g to drop on the sump and smash through the 75 and skimmer, etc.

Anybody done this ?

shifty51008
04/21/2016, 09:08 AM
if it isn't powder coated then I would deff paint it with kiltz or some type of water type paint.

I have seen a lot of people use metal or steel shelves for breeding tanks and they hold up well, just keep and eye on the weight and make sure no bowing and if possiable I would bolt it to the wall to keep it from rocking just as extra safety.

drew930
04/21/2016, 12:25 PM
Yea definetly would try to attached it somehow. Might give it a shot. Or just build a wood one , but more room with a thinner steel shelve. Be nice to get them higher up instead of floor level.

Some look they come with wood. Not sure if it's particle board or plywood. Guess I could double up to be safe

FirstContact
04/21/2016, 12:49 PM
Have a powder coated steel stand from Lowes. Would not recommend it as it has rusted over the years and I am now replacing it with wood. The metal/rust flakes off and falls into the sump. It's been up about seven years and purchased it as a quick fix while I was still debating if this hobby was a lifetime hobby for me or not. Now I wish I still had the 300 clams I paid for it since I am replacing it.

toothybugs
04/21/2016, 01:14 PM
Ha, funny - I'm dealing with a very similar issue here at work at the moment (protecting panel edges for salt water exposure). I would go with a good double or triple coat of the spray-on appliance touch-up epoxy. You're going to want some good build, so give it plenty of time to dry and cure properly. Epoxies are going to give you the best corrosion protection bar none. The problem with any coating is the edges get exposed, however slightly, when the coating cures and pulls away from the edges a little. If the metal hasn't been properly prepared the corrosion sets in at the edge and propagates under the film. Once that happens, it can flake off and expose bare metal to the air.

Regardless of what you put down, pay special attention to the edges and anywhere that salt spray can settle, like on top of nut/ bolt assemblies, etc.

Ou8me2
04/22/2016, 04:29 AM
If you do you will most likely have to buy wood to replace the thin or cheap particle board most of them come with unless it is an industrial type shelf unit.

I personally would build a rack out of wood and it would be cheaper. I've even seen people build stands with cinderblocks and wood.