PDA

View Full Version : blue hippo tang playing dead

rbby228
04/21/2016, 03:23 PM
hey guys i just bought a a very small blue hippo tang. probably about half an inch. right now its in a bucket getting drip acclimated but its on its side playing dead. i know these fish get stressed out easy and i don't know what i should do to make sure it lives. right now its in the bucket that i covered getting drip acclimated and i left in some mysis shrimp to entice it to eat. is there anything else i should do?

rbby228
04/21/2016, 04:04 PM
i just added my hippo blue tang and he seems to be doing fine

d0ughb0y
04/21/2016, 05:51 PM
I once got a copperband butterfly fish that just floated up on its side while in holding tank. I completely freaked out when I saw that and tried to net it out and it squirmed and started swimming upright. I'm not sure what that was about and did not know fish can do that till I saw it myself. I'm guessing it's like going in stealth mode trying to hide.

Dave0331
04/21/2016, 06:36 PM
That is completely normal. Honestly I think is funny when they do that. they usually do that when new then they will be all over the tank. Make sure ot keep a close on it. At that age they will be very prone to ich at least mine was until it got a little bigger

vashawn
04/22/2016, 12:09 PM
lol thats funny. i know hippos love to lay on there side. i guess it s very common

m0nkie
04/22/2016, 01:51 PM
Hippos love to do that.. They sleep in between cracks of rocks, sometimes flat on the bottom.