PDA

View Full Version : recent tank crash, how long should i wait to add an anemone

hotelbravo
04/22/2016, 06:12 PM
As some of you already know i have recently had a tank crash in my 180g and all anemones died along with all my fish and inverts with the exception of my two eels. i am wondering how long i need to wait before adding any anemones.

Kenreefer
04/24/2016, 05:56 AM
Well I don't have any anemones yet for that reason. From all the reading I've done the tank needs to be well established first, and I know I don't know enough. I didn't feel like killing them and wasting money doing it. Your tank crashed for a reason if you don't know why and couldn't stop it, that's a big problem. Read as much as you can first. I thought "karenanemone " was the best and simpleSt way to learn about anemones. Read read understand than of course cross your fingers too. Hoped this helped. Good luck.

Dkuhlmann
04/25/2016, 05:50 AM
Hodge, did you figure out why your tank crashed? I don't recall seeing a thread on it.

hotelbravo
04/25/2016, 12:37 PM
Well I believe my caulerpa nuked the tank. The caulerpa shriveled and died about when it all happened and it was a very large amount so many threads lead me to believe the caulerpa was to blame

nemmy
04/25/2016, 04:51 PM
I'd give it at least 6 months. Experts can pull it off sooner but why risk it. I think the 6 month rule is more about newer people to the hobby than it is anything else. Advanced reefers who are going in right off the bat with a good controller, ato, skimmer, refractometer, etc to help keep stable conditions are better off than a fresh new salty. I mean yeah your bacteria has to stabalize and your tank has to buffer alk and pH well before adding one as well though.

ca1ore
04/25/2016, 09:41 PM
I think your tank needs to go through the various 'new tank' cycles before adding an anemone, particularly one of the more sensitive varieties. By cycling, I don't just mean bacteria but algae as well.