PDA

View Full Version : fish hook fish removal

PirateLove
04/22/2016, 09:48 PM
Hi RC. I have about had it trying to get a small hippo tang out of my tank. He always goes right back in his cave on the left side of the tank and there is no way I can remove my rock. Huge tank and his only friend is a cleaner shrimp which makes everthing worse. I tried a trap but the shrimp goes in and cleans everything out. I hate this fish and am looking for advise on how to hook him. He is small maybe 3 inches. Thanks. :uhoh3:

hotelbravo
04/22/2016, 10:29 PM
#28 size barbless hook which can be ordered online. most retailers wont carry that size hook at their store

PirateLove
04/22/2016, 11:52 PM
#28 size barbless hook which can be ordered online. most retailers wont carry that size hook at their store

Great! Thanks for the reply. Do retailers carry #28 Barbed hooks? Possibly just sand/grind the barb off the hook instead of waiting for shipping?

OllieNZ
04/23/2016, 01:06 AM
Great! Thanks for the reply. Do retailers carry #28 Barbed hooks? Possibly just sand/grind the barb off the hook instead of waiting for shipping?
You can crush the barb flat with a pair of pliers.

billdogg
04/23/2016, 05:32 AM
I used a #10 barbless fly fishing hook on a dowel rod "pole" (as an absolute last resort) to catch a green coris wrasse that rogue on me. It took all of 10 seconds.

PirateLove
04/23/2016, 03:26 PM
What did you use as bait?

davocean
04/23/2016, 04:04 PM
Tangs are usually pretty easy to trap if you get them on nori, they usually are the only ones that really charge after the nori.
I purposely get my tangs hooked on nori for this reason, every now and then you get that one that is a problem.
I have used nori wadded up tight on a hook once for a very problematic desjardini

billdogg
04/23/2016, 05:27 PM
I used a chunk of something from Rod's Original. Nori for the tang is a great idea

Dkuhlmann
04/24/2016, 05:04 AM
I had to catch a very nasty large yellow tang once and I threaded a larger Mysis shrimp onto the hook. Worked like a charm.