PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Oysters!

Mistborn
04/23/2016, 06:53 PM
So I live on the gulf coast and a few months ago we decided to have some oysters, and I was wondering if they would survive in my tank. So I rinsed off a couple and chucked em in. It's been almost three months now and they're still alive. I also got a ton of snails along with them so I guess that's another plus. Just a little story I wanted to share.

Bagabaga
04/25/2016, 03:02 PM
Any pics? Sounds pretty cool

Reef Frog
04/29/2016, 09:56 PM
Before the industrial era, the Chesapeake Bay was so packed with oysters that it was said you could walk a cross the reefs at low tide. The could actually filter the water so quickly & completely that the water was crystal clear.

Today with the native oysters at about 1% of their pre 1600 level, the water is green with a visibility of a foot or two. I wonder if they provide beneficial filtering in an aquarium.

MonsterFishBook
05/02/2016, 03:04 PM
Oysters are capable of filtering up to 50 gallons of water per day - each. Like Reef Frog said, the Chesapeake is now down at practically nothing compared to the 1600-1700's oyster population, and water quality is pretty terrible.

It would be interesting to have an aquarium with no filtration but oysters. Maybe run a long, thin display fuge below the main tank and have it with nothing but oysters. You'd need to pump in pods and such for food sources, but it's still an interesting idea.