PDA

View Full Version : Different kinds of Zoes

CrayolaViolence
04/24/2016, 01:54 PM
I've seen some pretty wild colored zoes some with some insane prices. I was curious to know if these zoes are being imported from some where or are they naturally occurring in the propagation process? To get the zooxenthelia that produce the colors do the breeders feed the zoes something specific? Or are these colors just random mutations that are being selected for?

Thanks

blasterman789
04/25/2016, 01:51 PM
Zoas and palys have a high mutation rate in the wild. They have to given how they reproduce. Most of what you are seeing are first or second generation versions that arent being grown fast enough by whole salers to drive prices down.

jayball
04/26/2016, 06:40 AM
What he said.

Also it is other proteins and pigments that cause the nice colors, zooxenthelia is an ugly brown

josuer302
04/26/2016, 08:44 AM
There isn't something you can feed zoas to cause them to color up like some of the ones you are talking about, they are being shipped from Vietnam, aussie and Jakarta and other places but you can get amazing colors from all over.

CrayolaViolence
04/26/2016, 03:43 PM
I've seen some say they reproduce only asexually, others say they do produce larva. Asexual seems more legit to me but what do I know. Anyhow, is there anything specific that triggers them to begin reproducing?

josuer302
04/26/2016, 05:45 PM
Zoas generally like a little dirtier water quality since they are found in tidal pools in reefs, some good lighting and you should have polyps poppin every now and again. Tho some color mutations or morphs are very slow compared to others in growth

blasterman789
04/27/2016, 10:10 AM
The fastest growth ive had in zoa gardens is keep a degree of protein in the water. Typically un eaten, meaty fish food, or actually blending it. Im experimenting now with a test tank and high nitrate levels without feeding, but not seeing an increase in growth. Looks like dirty watee is indeed the key and not residual nitrate.

CrayolaViolence
04/27/2016, 11:29 PM
I posted a filter question as well was hoping someone could answer. Thanks.

blasterman789
04/28/2016, 08:16 AM
Getting back to the original post. Remember we are evaluating our zoa and paly coloration under synthetic light that greatly exagerates minor color variations. Under daylight conditions zoas dont look as radical as they do under reef lights.

CrayolaViolence
04/28/2016, 08:52 AM
What kind of light do you recommend for Zoes. What do they respond best to in growth, LED, T5? A combo?