PDA

View Full Version : Bubble tips not so bubbly

jiporter
04/24/2016, 04:59 PM
I have two reef tanks, I keep the one in the garage a little bit funkier because the bubble tips seem to like it that way. The main display tank in the dinning room they don't seem to grow as well but recently I have started some direct feeding of various raw (butcher shop) fish pieces and they have been growing well.
Any way my real question is whats the difference between my bubble tip anemones? Some are long and stringy and others are the more typical stubby bubble. There are even some big color differences all within the same tank. They appear to be happy, they grow fast and split often. Last count was 19 and I had started with 7 about two years ago. I even have my clowns breeding in a ceramic flower pot that is home to one of the bigger anemones.
Thanks

kozmic
04/26/2016, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure anyone has ever figured out why some BTA's bubble up and others do not... or why some do both from time to time... lots 'o theories though...

Greybeard
04/26/2016, 02:15 PM
In the immortal words of Bobby McFerrin... Don't worry, be happy...

They're happy, healthy, growing, and reproducing. Keep up whatever you're doing, and enjoy :)

gallegos
04/28/2016, 11:23 AM
Mine bubble like crazy 1.5" bubbles then b the clown comes along and hosts and the bubbletips go away

saf1
04/28/2016, 09:01 PM
Started with one rose. Year later a 2nd appeared. They soon outgrew my 29 gallon bio-cube so I moved them to a 40 breeder while combining my two 29 gallon biocubes. Anyway, two became three for about a year or so and just a few months back I ended up with four :( I guess they have a thing for even numbers because 2 weeks past it happened again, whatever that is, and now I have five. Go figure. Clowns have no idea what is going on but think they hit the jack pot bouncing between them all.

Anyway my point in all this is as what others have said. There really is no clear indication has to what causes it. I can tell you based on my experience of owning 5 of them over time in various conditions and tank sizes that I firmly believe it is tied to water movement.

When I see mind bubble tip it is typically in a low tide or flow situation for a couple days. That or they move to a less flow back side of the tank wall. Those that are up front tend to always have longer tentacles and wider bodies. My tank is mostly soft corals with the exception of hammers.