PDA

View Full Version : Possibly stupid question about protein skimmer/pump

Potatohead
04/24/2016, 09:01 PM
I recently purchased an Eshopps PSK100, and the pump that comes with it has a barb that will fit two hose sizes, like the photo.

Question is, my skimmer uses the larger size, the one closest to the pump body. Should I hacksaw the small one off? Or does the skimmer want the added water/air velocity leaving it alone would create?

Thanks

bundybear1981
04/24/2016, 09:06 PM
If you wanted you could cut it off but its not necessary to do so. It's to allow the pump be installed with a smaller pipe for other uses/applications. Some pumps have different adaptors that screw on/off instead of the cheaper method this pump has used.

Potatohead
04/24/2016, 09:25 PM
Yes but if you're using the larger one, and leave the smaller hole, at the same flow rate the water/air will have higher initial velocity through the small one. If this was a return pump I wouldn't care but in the skimmer it only goes like 4" and then hits the skimmer wall on the other side so I thought it might be more important to cut it off.

I guess I should have mentioned the barb does step down internally, it is not the same ID all the way through.