PDA

View Full Version : Display Refugium

Kharn
04/25/2016, 05:40 AM
Looking for Opinions.

In the next 6months I'm going to be building a unique pair of large multi tank display systems.

1 system has only Mantis Shrimp (1600L)
1 system has only Mix Live Food (1650L)

Each system has a simple Filtration setup in the following layout.
Display Tanks -> Sump Input Filter Sock -> Skimmer -> Refugium -> Reactor(s) + RODI Float + Return Pump -> Display Tanks.

Point is each of the systems has large Refugiums.
540L - 200cm x 45cm x 60cm
485L - 180cm x 45cm x 60cm

What I was thinking for the 485L Refugium was to have some Pod eaters, simply because nothing in either Mantis Shrimp or Live Food system will actually consume pods...Seahorses, Pipefish, Dragonets & Twin Spotted Gobies.

The Refugium has a uniform layout and the Macro Algae will be trimmed constantly and treated similar to a Freshwater Planted Tank...
- Marine Pure Blocks (8inx8inx4in ea)
- 2in Deep Sand Bed
- Macro Algae

I guess what I am getting at ultimately is this the following.

What 'ratios' of each (Seahorses, Pipefish, Dragonets & Twin Spotted Gobies) could fit into a 485L Refugium, just a pair of each except maybe the seahorses, I would looove to get a few types of each but am not sure about conflicts even if the tank is large and they are small?

&

What else could happily go in such a system and benefit from the cope/amphipods that would be in abundance but also be placid with the other peaceful pod crunchers? (I've thought of Grass Eel & Sea Moth but neither of them tickle my fancy).

Cheers

rayjay
04/25/2016, 10:16 AM
Basic rule of thumb for standard seahorses normally found in the hobby is for 30g for the first pair and 15g for each additional pair. However, Dan at seahorsesource.com I think prefers that each pair should have 30g, not just the first pair. (about 114 litres)
You might possibly encounter problems by containing seahorses in a system that needs situations not best for the seahorses though,
Best chance of success goes with temperatures in the 68 to 74F range. Also, sometimes seahorses succumb to pathogens that they haven't been exposed to while growing up but are exposed to when placed in systems that contain other fish.