PDA

View Full Version : ICH solved

skimjim
04/25/2016, 05:46 AM
Ive been reefing for 15 yrs and have battled ICH for long peroids of time and have lost COUNTLESS fish. Ive tried every flipping,method and process i could read about thru Google. No method truly solved anything

I recently had an ICH outbreak 3mos ago. I stumbled across this product:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oDxSYeppL._SY400_.jpg

This is a submersible 254uv 15w tube. I bought TWO of them and placed them in each of my two corner overflows. No mounting, just stuck dem suckers in the overflows.

Within days my water turned crystal clear, fish lost their ICH and fishs appetitie is now at an all time high.

Im sure members on this board will SCOFF at this simple method but its working for me.

Heres wherw to buy

http://www.amazon.com/254nm-Germicidal-Filament-Purification-Ballast/dp/B012JJGSJG

skimjim
04/25/2016, 05:50 AM

MiddletoM
04/25/2016, 06:41 AM
how do you know the ich has gone for good?

bif24701
04/25/2016, 07:10 AM
it wont be however it is possible to control it, where fish can survive with it.

itz frank
04/25/2016, 07:55 AM
Ive been reefing for 15 yrs and have battled ICH for long peroids of time and have lost COUNTLESS fish. Ive tried every flipping,method and process i could read about thru Google. No method truly solved anything

I recently had an ICH outbreak 3mos ago. I stumbled across this product:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oDxSYeppL._SY400_.jpg

This is a submersible 254uv 15w tube. I bought TWO of them and placed them in each of my two corner overflows. No mounting, just stuck dem suckers in the overflows.

Within days my water turned crystal clear, fish lost their ICH and fishs appetitie is now at an all time high.

Im sure members on this board will SCOFF at this simple method but its working for me.

Heres wherw to buy

http://www.amazon.com/254nm-Germicidal-Filament-Purification-Ballast/dp/B012JJGSJG

How long has this been in your tank? When was you last out break? Why do you attribute your success to this item?

dkeller_nc
04/25/2016, 08:01 AM
Keep in mind that UV in the wavelength typically emitted by sterilizer tubes will destroy acrylic and many other plastics. Something to keep in mind if your overflows are built of this material.

billdogg
04/25/2016, 08:03 AM
Although it has been proven, time and again, that the use of UV can help, it cannot eradicate the Ich parasite from your system. UV is effective only against the free-swimming stage of the parasite, and then only the ones who are unlucky enough to be exposed, and cannot have any success against the parasite while on the fish or while encased and on the substrate.

I'm certainly not saying that it doesn't help, but to claim a cure is shortsighted. As you have observed, use of the UV light(s) have helped to clarify the water and for that it can be very useful.

jm.02

bif24701
04/25/2016, 08:25 AM
If ICH can be controlled to a point with a properly sized and installed UV, then why is it that they are looked upon soon negatively here?

I assume it is because good UVs are expensive and even then not installed correctly for the task intended, thus they are ineffective.

I also conclude that recommending a UV isn't seen as good advice because it will never CURE the disease non treat one that has already infected and overrun a system.

However with all the possible ways for disease to find its way into our systems and hide why not run one?

I look forward to discussion.

d-man
04/25/2016, 12:15 PM
If ICH can be controlled to a point with a properly sized and installed UV, then why is it that they are looked upon soon negatively here?

I assume it is because good UVs are expensive and even then not installed correctly for the task intended, thus they are ineffective.

I also conclude that recommending a UV isn't seen as good advice because it will never CURE the disease non treat one that has already infected and overrun a system.

However with all the possible ways for disease to find its way into our systems and hide why not run one?

I look forward to discussion.

As you stated, many are very costly to run. If someone is so worried about ICH then prevention is the best way, especially since UV can't eradicate it anyway.
Many peopl swear by UV, COPPS is one that I as well as many to hold in such high regards, who runs many. However im sure his QT methods are impeccable to begin with as well

homer1475
04/25/2016, 01:35 PM
Another giant waste of money(in regards to curing ICH) in a hobby that definitely has plenty of snake oil for people to waste money on.

BTW who is the COPPS and just because he/she runs one everyone should too? Kind of like if this COPPS jumped off a bridge, everyone should follow just because you hold him/her in high regard?

kl3377
04/25/2016, 01:41 PM
Keep in mind that UV in the wavelength typically emitted by sterilizer tubes will destroy acrylic and many other plastics. Something to keep in mind if your overflows are built of this material.

I use UV and am extremely happy with the water clarity. ICH is not an issue for me but UV sterilizer companies contain the bulb for the above reason. UV weakens many materirals.

Bent
04/25/2016, 02:32 PM
this is just a coincidence if you ask me. Something else is at play.

Triggerfish
04/25/2016, 02:41 PM
I never thought they would do much if anything at control or eradication. BUT.
a guys tank I take care of had ich when I started with it. 6 tangs. he bought a UV running it off his canister and all his fish look clean for past couple months.

I recently had an issue with ich myself lost a few fish. bought a 36w uv about a month ago so we'll see what happens there.. the fish I have now really never displayed the visible signs of it, mostly wrasses. but the tamarin would have a few spots on the rear fin edge so my kid says.. I never noticed. but all seems gone now for past few weeks.
I almost added a baby hippo but Im just not thinking it is gone. that would be the real test for sure.

jason2459
04/25/2016, 02:52 PM

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the OP. UV over time will effect pretty much any material in a negative way. Ozone as well. And not healthy if shining into or out of the aquarium into living space.

sde1500
04/25/2016, 03:42 PM
Another giant waste of money(in regards to curing ICH) in a hobby that definitely has plenty of snake oil for people to waste money on.

BTW who is the COPPS and just because he/she runs one everyone should too? Kind of like if this COPPS jumped off a bridge, everyone should follow just because you hold him/her in high regard?

COPPS, member here. September 2004 and January 2011 tank of the month.

UV may not be entirely preventative but it does generate plenty of accolades. Has to help at some level.

thegrun
04/25/2016, 05:53 PM
They could certainly help keep the ich down to a level where the fish are not too adversely effected by the parasite but not cure the ich. A word of caution, besides being harsh on the materials your tank is made from the UV lights are very detrimental to your corneas, NEVER look directly at a UV light while it is on, if you haven't done so already you should have a black acrylic cover over the overflow so no one can look directly at them.

skimjim
04/26/2016, 05:23 AM
OP here.

I agree my title should be ICH Controlled, not solved. Im,seeing VAST improvements using 254nm UV. Water clarity, happier coral and fish, just a much cleaner looking tank. I dont see one reason not to use them once i find a safe spot in my 100g sump.

QUESTION: what damage am i to expect keeping these UV tubes in the overflow?

> Like seals springing leaks?

> Thinning overflow walls leading to holes, warps? Overflows becomimg detacted?

> Mushroom cloud explosions, lol? Fish growing legs, walking and talking, lol?

Sonyardo
04/26/2016, 06:48 AM
I just get rid of them the easy way before putting them in the tank.

Triggerfish
04/26/2016, 04:16 PM
theres been some reported cases where the UV light has caused the housings to leak over time.

dkeller_nc
04/27/2016, 02:17 PM
QUESTION: what damage am i to expect keeping these UV tubes in the overflow?

Exposure to UV will cause embrittlement of the acrylic. At some point, it will crack and/or fail completely.