PDA

View Full Version : Purple Tang with white all over body..

BrandonFlorida
04/25/2016, 07:29 AM
I added him to the QT tank from Reef-a-palooza on Saturday afternoon and noticed he was completely white like his mucus lining was just white. He is eating good and swimming normal and has some coloring back this morning but still has like a white coat on his mucus lining.

I can get a pic tonight when I get home but his is fat and eating so I take it that's good.

I have cupramine and parzi pro but that is it.

Any help would be great.. He is in a 40 gallon breeder tank..

BrandonFlorida
04/25/2016, 10:25 AM
In order for us to provide the best possible help, please provide the following information. It will really help us and it will be information we need.

1. How old is this aquarium?
Year old this april for DT, QT tank is running 24/7 365 for about 8 months

2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level?
NA

3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured?
1.026 or 35 on a calibrated refractor (using unopened cal. fluid)

4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium?
Was added about 3 months ago from QT tank

5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How?
Was Prophylactically treated all fish with no signs after 10 weeks.

6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When?
I have never used copper based medication but I have cupramine and the corresponding copper testing unit

7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer?
Never used hyposalinity and not really sure if that is the best route for a purple tang

8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color?
The Tang has a white tint covering the entire fish. It has improved and is eating well. Maybe stress? Had a two hour car ride home from Orlando

9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish?
Fish is very active and constantly swimming. Eating like a healthy fish.

10. Is the fish eating? What?
Yes fish is eating LRS reef frenzy and some Alge flakes. He is a pig. Going to pick up some nori for him and maybe some other type of food in general for all the fish..

BrandonFlorida
04/26/2016, 09:30 AM
could it be stress? It looks much improved but still has whiteish color on the front of the face.

Please anyone with any advise would be great..

jbvdhp
04/26/2016, 10:24 AM
Well, my DZ experience is limited to ich as that's the most common thing I've encountered. Mucous coatings SOUND like brook, but why don't you post a picture? Formalin dips and baths help. My desjardini had a "mucous" issue, and I thought it was brook. A few dips of formalin helped, and now all fish I get will be dipped in formalin. It's pretty simple. You can buy it off Amazon and follow the instructions.

Anyway, it's difficult to say without pics to see, but brook is usually assoc. with clowns and heavy mucous coatings could be it. BTW, my desjardini has been looking "white" too, like his colors are very pale. At one point it looked like someone dusted him in flour (so I was thinking velvet), but it just kind of stayed that way so I think for him it's stress colors (pale pale pale white).

BrandonFlorida
04/26/2016, 12:18 PM
Well, my DZ experience is limited to ich as that's the most common thing I've encountered. Mucous coatings SOUND like brook, but why don't you post a picture? Formalin dips and baths help. My desjardini had a "mucous" issue, and I thought it was brook. A few dips of formalin helped, and now all fish I get will be dipped in formalin. It's pretty simple. You can buy it off Amazon and follow the instructions.

Anyway, it's difficult to say without pics to see, but brook is usually assoc. with clowns and heavy mucous coatings could be it. BTW, my desjardini has been looking "white" too, like his colors are very pale. At one point it looked like someone dusted him in flour (so I was thinking velvet), but it just kind of stayed that way so I think for him it's stress colors (pale pale pale white).

Yeah I tried taking a photo this morning but it came out really crappy.. I need to get some better lighting in my sump/qt room.

I have personally saw a clown with brook and it was a very heavy mucus coating and this guy is just a faint white coating which has gotten better over the last few day. Kinda like what you saying with the dusted flour look.

My LFS said to fresh water dip him the see if anything falls off but I am against doing any treatment unless I Know what it is.

I have never encountered velvet yet so I will look that up now and see what symptoms too look for.

Not sure what formalin dip is so I will google that too.. I will hopefully get a better pic to show you what I am seeing on the fish..

Thank you for your time and help in this matter..

jbvdhp
04/26/2016, 04:13 PM
Yeah I tried taking a photo this morning but it came out really crappy.. I need to get some better lighting in my sump/qt room.

I have personally saw a clown with brook and it was a very heavy mucus coating and this guy is just a faint white coating which has gotten better over the last few day. Kinda like what you saying with the dusted flour look.

My LFS said to fresh water dip him the see if anything falls off but I am against doing any treatment unless I Know what it is.

I have never encountered velvet yet so I will look that up now and see what symptoms too look for.

Not sure what formalin dip is so I will google that too.. I will hopefully get a better pic to show you what I am seeing on the fish..

Thank you for your time and help in this matter..

I'll try to take a pic of my desjardini tonight. If you google what it's supposed to look like you'll see what I'm talking about. It's PALE. But no more ich. And would be dead by now if velvet.

BrandonFlorida
04/27/2016, 10:19 AM
http://s32.postimg.org/50iv9b7jl/SAM_0533.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/50iv9b7jl/)

http://s32.postimg.org/m4vky8q29/SAM_0534.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/m4vky8q29/)

http://s32.postimg.org/yskj28jqp/SAM_0536.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/yskj28jqp/)

Finally got decent pictures and finally got a decent light on the QT tank. Looks like the paleness is gone for the most part and now I assume it is ICH. Is this an accurate assessment? Thanks

jbvdhp
04/27/2016, 10:22 AM
Well it sure doesn't look pale! :)

Sent using your IP address

BrandonFlorida
04/27/2016, 11:05 AM
Well it sure doesn't look pale! :)

Sent using your IP address

Right lol:headwally:

When I first got him home he was very pale lol, but looks pretty good now.

Cupramine treatment would work correct?

jbvdhp
04/27/2016, 11:06 AM
Right lol:headwally:

When I first got him home he was very pale lol, but looks pretty good now.

Cupramine treatment would work correct?

For ich, we like TTM best. It's cheap and easy. I use sterilite tubs. No mess. Easy on fish. Easy on you.

BrandonFlorida
04/27/2016, 11:37 AM
For ich, we like TTM best. It's cheap and easy. I use sterilite tubs. No mess. Easy on fish. Easy on you.

Yeah I don't have any tubs or space to put tanks for the TTM. I guess copper will just have to work in my situation..

jbvdhp
04/27/2016, 11:39 AM
Yeah I don't have any tubs or space to put tanks for the TTM. I guess copper will just have to work in my situation..

I've been reading tangs do NOT do well with copper, especially this genus. You can use buckets too instead of small tubs. You don't need much space

BrandonFlorida
04/27/2016, 12:00 PM
Well a 5 gallon bucket is a pretty tight space for such a big fish. Wouldn't that stress them? I know the copper will stress him but I only have one tank for QT.

I do have 10 five gallon buckets thou..

pinnatus
04/27/2016, 12:14 PM
Purple tangs will go pale, especially at night or in the dark.

You could treat him for ick, but he doesn't look sick in the pictures.

The way I usually look for ick is on the transparent side fins but of course the fins on the Purple tang are not transparent.

I use copper for ick, and have not had any worse reactions by tangs versus other fish. Just be careful and test the water for the proper levels. Best of luck!

BrandonFlorida
04/27/2016, 02:04 PM
Purple tangs will go pale, especially at night or in the dark.

You could treat him for ick, but he doesn't look sick in the pictures.

The way I usually look for ick is on the transparent side fins but of course the fins on the Purple tang are not transparent.

I use copper for ick, and have not had any worse reactions by tangs versus other fish. Just be careful and test the water for the proper levels. Best of luck!

The face of the tang has some white on him. So do you think I should just wait it out? Id hate to copper the tank if not needed.