PDA

View Full Version : Probe longevity and cleaning methods

SPotter
04/25/2016, 06:20 PM
I'm calibrating probes tonight and noticing some crud caked on my orp probe. Is there a preferred method for cleaning or should it just be replaced after a certain amount of time? It's been in operation for about 15 months now.

ReefRockerLive
04/25/2016, 06:41 PM
Depending on how much buildup is on the probe, soaking it in lukewarm water and wiping it clean should do the trick. The most important part of the probe is the sensor itself, be sure to always keep that clean so you can get the most life out of the probe.

They should last a couple years with regular cleaning and calibrating.

SPotter
04/25/2016, 06:55 PM
theres a decent amount of crud on the sensor. Admittedly I have been lazy about cleaning and calibrating them. Im considering adding Ozone to my system which is what prompted me to calibrate my orp probe tonight.

d2mini
04/25/2016, 06:59 PM
I usually soak mine in a vinegar and water solution if a soft toothbrush and running tap water doesn't do it..

SPotter
04/25/2016, 07:01 PM
so far the conductivity is pretty accurate. My orp level is significantly lower than before I calibrated but I remember that happening with my apex and that it would take a couple of days to return to the normal level.

MSHUR
04/25/2016, 08:37 PM
Steve,
just soak them in vinegar and clean with toothbrush.. that all i do:) it works:)

Mike