PDA

View Full Version : Fish room temp help

GilliganReef
04/26/2016, 02:15 PM
My wife and I had purchased a house this last June. I turned the storage room under the stairs in our basement into our fish room. I have 65G display with a 20L and 29G for my sumps. This last fall I replaced my skimmer with a Reef Octopus Diablo. That’s only piece of equipment I have changed out. Current pumps in the tank and sump are – 2 – 950 Hydor, 1 650 Hydor, Jabeo DC 6000, BRS Reactor MJ-1000, another small reactor with small pump, and two small power heads in my refugium. I have 4 T-5 VHO lunar light for my lighting. I have a 200 watt heater and a 150 watt. The 200 watt is set at 76 degrees and my 150 is set at 72.

I have my 200 watt heater hooked up to a timer. During the winter months in Minnesota my tank stayed around 77-79 with my 200 watt heater only being turned on for 2 hours during the day and 4 hours at night. Last summer I got by with only running that heater for 2 hours over night. Now this spring with my 200 watt unplugged my sumps run around 77 – 78 degrees. My display is running around 79.5 – 81 degrees and the thermostat is position on the other end of the tank of where my return is. The 77-78 is in the return chamber of my sumps.

My question is what are some ways to help lower temp in my tank so I don’t have to worry when I am at work? What else can I add in the fish room?

Right now I am running a tower fan at medium speed and the tank is staying around the 79 mark. Fish room stays around 66-72 degrees. In August I recorded the temp at 72 degrees being the warmest in the fish room.

gone fishin
04/26/2016, 02:25 PM
is the sump open topped and how is the DT top?

You can get a small fan to blow across the sump to help with evaporative cooling.

GilliganReef
04/26/2016, 02:38 PM
is the sump open topped and how is the DT top?

You can get a small fan to blow across the sump to help with evaporative cooling.

Everything is open on sumps and display. When you mean small fan how small are talking? Also what kind of fan?

Also nice Frenchie in your profile picture

gone fishin
04/26/2016, 02:45 PM
I have used those small clip on fans before. I attached it to one end of my sump and let it blow across the sump.

Thanks that is Squiggy we got him last October.

panhandler01
04/26/2016, 02:51 PM
I have used those small clip on fans before. I attached it to one end of my sump and let it blow across the sump.

I have done that in the summertime as well. Works great. Evaporation rate was alot higher though.

thegrun
04/26/2016, 02:56 PM
Have you checked the thermometers on the heaters? I've seen them off by 5 degrees, you should calibrate them with a good lab grade thermometer.

snorvich
04/26/2016, 04:21 PM
Have you checked the thermometers on the heaters? I've seen them off by 5 degrees, you should calibrate them with a good lab grade thermometer.

I agree.