PDA

View Full Version : Gambled and lost with a Niger, now worried about blue jaws

splix
04/27/2016, 07:44 AM
I gave the Niger trigger a shot. I thought things were going very well since he's not eaten any coral, shrimp, or inverts. The tank gets fed twice a day every day. I say that because I guess it wasnt enough for my pig of a niger, and he went rogue on me last night and started eating fish. He ate my tailspot blenny right in front of me, then started chasing my small green chromis like he's next. Immediately caught and pulled and he's now in my QT while he's for sale.

I have 2x blue jaw trigger (male and female) who seem to be very well behaved, but....the niger incident has me worried.

Are the blue jaws going to start eating the little guys when they get bigger? They're about the same size as the niger was, but so far they're very well behaved.

GimpyFin
04/27/2016, 08:25 AM
bluejaws and red tails are about the only triggers you'd want to chance in a reef. They're still a gamble but they tend to behave themselves the best. Nigers and others should really be in a fish only aggressive tank.

Dmorty217
04/27/2016, 08:46 AM
At the end of the day no matter what trigger you get, they are still a trigger and often will attack smaller new comers after they are established. If you have things you like and don't want to see one day destroyed or have a bite taken out of, I would stay away from triggers

bullitr
04/27/2016, 09:31 AM
bluejaws and red tails are about the only triggers you'd want to chance in a reef. They're still a gamble but they tend to behave themselves the best. Nigers and others should really be in a fish only aggressive tank.

Crosshatch and goldenback are much better but even that still a gamble

snorvich
04/27/2016, 09:52 AM
Crosshatch and goldenback are much better but even that still a gamble

I agree but Crosshatch are so gorgeous.

bullitr
04/27/2016, 10:00 AM
I kept a lot of xhatch ( more than 15) none of them take any of my small fish out but some of my friends xhatch are more aggressive

Maybe Me and other friend successfully kept them with small fish because we feed a lot

CHSUB
04/27/2016, 10:31 AM
i have a BT trigger in a reef with small fish and he is a "Model Citizen". I have only had him a short time, however i swear i see him look at my small fish like a meal? :lol2:

Dmorty217
04/27/2016, 11:14 AM
I kept a lot of xhatch ( more than 15) none of them take any of my small fish out but some of my friends xhatch are more aggressive

Maybe Me and other friend successfully kept them with small fish because we feed a lot

Haven't most all of yours that started out a male/female pair end up being all male? Last time i checked I thought you had 3 males because of that

bullitr
04/27/2016, 05:09 PM
We as group had a male turn into female and vice versa

menelaos
04/28/2016, 11:55 AM
My blue throat lives in a cave with my yellow tang, i have a copperband shrimp, emerald crab, sally light foot, a half dozen porcelain crabs, along with corals, 6 other smaller reef fish, 2 urchins and 2 tiger tail cumbers and he bothers no one just eats all their there food if he has a chance 2 lol.

2 cleaner shrimp diapered after almost a year but i never really expect small shrimp to live forever.

Id get a blue throat if i were you