PDA

View Full Version : disease kole tang.

Bent
04/27/2016, 08:46 AM
Need some input here guys, though it might be hard to do. Im going to post my timeline and observations of his behavior to see if we can narrow down the issue.

-Kole in QT from LFS 4/17. Temp acclimate, matched SG 1.020, released fish. Tachnypneic, positive signs of stress, color washed. Hiding in large 2"PVC pipe

-Started freely swimming, picking at PVC pipe, eating some NLS pellets. 4/18. Skittish, hiding, color still washed, normal breathing.

-Put some nori in, did not seem interested. continued to pick from 4/18-4/23, still eating nls pellets. Color improved in this time.

-4/24 started prazi-pro.

-4/26 fish twitching head, scratching mostly on the bottom between the mouth and pectorals. Sometimes gill scratching turning sideways. No visible signs of parasites, no white spots.

Im thinking its flukes and I need to just keep up with the prazi until they go away, but Im not sure. Any ideas?

snorvich
04/27/2016, 09:48 AM
Well, in retrospect a formalin dip would have killed flukes and a second round of formalin or Prazipro a week later would have killed any "hatchlings". Does your LFS run copper?

jbvdhp
04/27/2016, 10:17 AM
Well, in retrospect a formalin dip would have killed flukes and a second round of formalin or Prazipro a week later would have killed any "hatchlings". Does your LFS run copper?

Steve, it should be ok to add formalin to the fish's bag water instead of making new water and adding formalin to that, correct?

Bent
04/27/2016, 10:25 AM

No I doubt they do anything. Should I finish up the prazipro this week, run some carbon, change the water, remove the carbon and start a formalin drip?

snorvich
04/27/2016, 10:48 AM
A graduated container would satisfy that need.

CHSUB
04/27/2016, 10:49 AM
PP doesn't work on all kinds of "flukes", formalin will imo, ime!

snorvich
04/27/2016, 10:51 AM
No I doubt they do anything. Should I finish up the prazipro this week, run some carbon, change the water, remove the carbon and start a formalin drip?

Dip not drip. Needs to be one week after prazipro

snorvich
04/27/2016, 10:52 AM
My copper question has to do with the masking effect of low level copper.

snorvich
04/27/2016, 11:17 AM
I just read your other thread. Formalin dip, tank transfer, then five weeks of observation is a better quarantine protocol.

Bent
04/27/2016, 12:13 PM
I just read your other thread. Formalin dip, tank transfer, then five weeks of observation is a better quarantine protocol.

I meant dip, stupid autocorrect.

Ill finish up this prazi-pro routine by this weekend and then dip him the next weekend.

Thanks gents. Ill update my practice to this.

So you would just skip prazipro and metro all together now and just do Formalin, TTM and five weeks obs?

snorvich
04/27/2016, 02:15 PM
So you would just skip prazipro and metro all together now and just do Formalin, TTM and five weeks obs?

Yup.

Bent
04/27/2016, 04:10 PM
Yup.

10/4 pardner thanks very much.