PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer and Filter Sock

mattyg18
04/28/2016, 06:39 PM
I removed my felt filter sock today today and left it off for a few minutes. Noticed the protein skimmer stopped making bubbles. Figured it would start up again in a few minutes but it didn't. After about 2 hours I put a fresh felt filter sock on and in a matter of minutes it started making bubbles again. Thought that was kinda interesting.

Does anyone know if thats normal?

thegrun
04/28/2016, 06:41 PM
My skimmer does make more skimate when I first put in a sock but it calms down after about 5 minutes.

mattyg18
04/28/2016, 06:54 PM
I was thinking of switching to a mesh sock but now i'm not sure I want to since the skimmer is working so good.

Sapelo
04/29/2016, 04:45 AM
Same here: I get better production from my skimmer with fresh socks. I honestly dont know why and would love an explanation if someone has one. I've told myself it has to do with more air in the water after it comes out of the socks but I dont know this to be true.

homer1475
04/29/2016, 04:49 AM
And mine is just the opposite....

When I change out my socks, the bubble head falls, and spits all the bubbles out of the return. It takes about an hour to return to normal.

mattyg18
04/29/2016, 04:53 AM
Just curious what type of skimmer you guys have. I have a remora in sump.

MiddletoM
04/29/2016, 06:36 AM
maybe the water passing through the sock travels passed the deposited detritus causing it to disolve slightly, the skimmer then picks this up as disolved organics. So this could be why the skimmer pulls more out when there is a sock installed. No sock means the detritus just settles and slowly rots/disolves.

Complete guess by the way.