PDA

View Full Version : Finding Dori--As big as Finding Nemo

jiminy_crime
04/28/2016, 07:27 PM
Do any of you think that Finding Dori will have the same impact on our hobby the way Finding Nemo did?

Just curious what seasoned hobbyists think about this.

Pretty sure it comes out in a couple of weeks.

MMacro
04/28/2016, 07:41 PM
Yes.
R.I.P Fish store employees and blue tangs.

anbosu
04/29/2016, 07:18 AM
I'm sure it will cause a surge in hippo tang ownership, but tons of people already have them in inappropriately sized tanks (partially due to the first movie), so I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference.

KafudaFish
04/29/2016, 08:47 AM
What happened the first time?

GimpyFin
04/29/2016, 09:06 AM
Might cause some more unwary folks to buy moorish idols too. Sounds like Gill will be back in the second movie.

Greybeard
04/29/2016, 09:16 AM
There was a petition drive to have a warning in the movie... don't know if it got anywhere or not.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2556465&highlight=finding+dory

jiminy_crime
04/29/2016, 10:41 AM
I am in the hobby today because of Finding Nemo...if I am being honest.

I walked right into PetSmart and said I want a clownfish in a tank. The PetSmart employee looked and laughed and said I really needed to do research first and suggested I start with freshwater cichlids. So I spent the next 2 years doing freshwater before moving into saltwater.

I know a lot of people really frown on what these movies due to the hobby but if not for that movie, I would not be in the hobby today.

I can definitely see the ugly that comes from the movies as well...just looking for other perspectives.

snorvich
04/29/2016, 10:50 AM
I'm sure it will cause a surge in hippo tang ownership, but tons of people already have them in inappropriately sized tanks (partially due to the first movie), so I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference.

This. Sigh.

Noknock
04/29/2016, 10:59 AM
Hopefully Petco won't put together a 1 gallon bowl kit with sand, water and Dory for $29.99.

Greybeard
04/29/2016, 11:01 AM
I walked right into PetSmart and said I want a clownfish in a tank. The PetSmart employee looked and laughed and said I really needed to do research first and suggested I start with freshwater cichlids. So I spent the next 2 years doing freshwater before moving into saltwater.

Great! I do not frown on these movies, I enjoyed the original finding nemo right along with my kids, and despite a certain distaste for Ellen DeGeneres, I'll be watching this one, when it comes out on blue ray.

For every good story like yours, there are literally hundreds where the pet store employee happily sold the customer a 20g tank kit, a bag of salt, and a pair of clowns. The fact that the employee you ran into was not an idiot is wonderful, but unfortunately, that's not always the case.

Many years ago, I watched an aquarium store employee try and sell a blue ringed octopus to a young couple, without any mention of the fact that this is animal is fully capable of KILLING it's owners. He was actually mad at me, when I killed the sale.

All we were asking for was a warning in the credits... Marine animals have special needs, please educate yourself before purchasing them as pets. (or something to that effect).

Dmorty217
04/29/2016, 11:02 AM
It will have the same impact but not for the better like finding nemo did. Clowns are much easier to keep and breed in undersized/poorly setup tanks, Tangs are not. There are already several on Ebay that have the hippo listed as "finding Dori." Plus lets be honest places like petco and others are betting on the surge in sales because of this movie.

jiminy_crime
04/29/2016, 11:07 AM
Greybeard..could definitely get behind that for sure.

slay
04/29/2016, 12:47 PM
Many years ago, I watched an aquarium store employee try and sell a blue ringed octopus to a young couple, without any mention of the fact that this is animal is fully capable of KILLING it's owners. He was actually mad at me, when I killed the sale.

I got fired from the LFS I worked at as teenager for killing sales. I refused to sell an extra large Naso Tang and a large Sailfin tang for a guy with a three foot long aquarium (my argument with him made him go to the manager then angrily leave the store). I know business is business, but the ethical standards of so many LFSs are so low.

Still, I can't fathom a LFS even stocking a potentially deadly animal to sell to the unaware public. That's beyond low.

Greybeard
04/29/2016, 01:51 PM
I got fired from the LFS I worked at as teenager for killing sales. I refused to sell an extra large Naso Tang and a large Sailfin tang for a guy with a three foot long aquarium (my argument with him made him go to the manager then angrily leave the store). I know business is business, but the ethical standards of so many LFSs are so low.

Still, I can't fathom a LFS even stocking a potentially deadly animal to sell to the unaware public. That's beyond low.

Good for you. Store that puts profits ahead of the welfare of the animals, I'm not shopping there anyway. LFS here had blueberry gorgonians a few weeks back, I've gotta question that one, even today, and I _like_ that guy :)

This was 20+ years ago, blue ring octopus were fairly common to see in an aquarium store, at least in my part of the country. Hey, guy knows the risk, I got no problem with it, but selling one to someone who doesn't know? Nope.

Happily, you don't see 'em anymore. Beautiful critters, though.

SeattleReefer
04/29/2016, 02:24 PM
Besides the overt messages of friendship and family it seemed to me that the underlying theme of Finding Nemo was that humans are bad because they take fish from their natural habitat and put them in aquariums where they are unhappy. Curious that this message seemed lost on the many children who wanted Nemo in their room.

Doubtless the new movie will spur a similar rush for (not so) little Dori's and a disclaimer won't change that dynamic.

MichelleMas
04/29/2016, 04:31 PM
What was the effect of finding Nemo? I am sure the price of the fish shown in the movie went up but did it affect the price of coral? Other fish/inverts? Products such as skimmers/test kits/buffers?

GimpyFin
04/29/2016, 04:41 PM
I want one of the AquaScum purifiers that scans your tank every 5 minutes and even extends the life of your fish. Maintenance free! :fish1:

Greybeard
04/29/2016, 08:53 PM
I want one of the AquaScum purifiers that scans your tank every 5 minutes and even extends the life of your fish. Maintenance free! :fish1:

Yeah, a HOB filter that monitors pH, temperature, and salinity every 5 minutes... with a red laser :) Been looking for one of those for years ;)

disc1
04/29/2016, 09:38 PM
It depends on which way you measure them. If you measure long-ways Dory would be much bigger. But Nemo would definitely be wider. Total mass I'm not sure which one gets the prize. I'd have to weigh a couple.