PDA

View Full Version : SPS Dominate Build List: Wanting Expereinced Keepers Advice On List

DylansGolden
04/29/2016, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of brainstorming a new build to be a SPS dominate tank.

I plan on picking up a SCA 66G and either building a custom stand or using the stand made for them. Only reason I would build a custom stand would be to fit a bigger sump in plus room for equipment, the stands with the tank aren't very big and my OCD would be the death of me if I can fit all I plan In there with room to work.

I've never had a SPS only tank so I would love some input from you experienced SPS reefers.

Going to start with Dry rock, possibly cook it in the garage for a month before letting it cycle in the tank for a month. Most likely will run sand too. Will also run a Refugium with Chateo. Also thinking of adding Seachem Matrix as wel.

So this is my current list:

TANK: 66G SCA
STAND: Custom or Standard Stand
SUMP: possibly a 40G breeder custom 3 baffle or a Trigger Ruby 20C. All depending on the stand situation.

LIGHTING: Radion Gen3 supplementing with (2) 24" 2 bulb LET retro fit kits. Plan on having one T5 on each side of the Radion. Also considering all T5's but for now since I've for the equipment I'll run that setup.

CONTROLLER: Neptune Apex Standard Lab Grade

EQUIPMENT: Jebo 4-Channel Doser(BRS 2 part dosing) or 3 BRS Dosing Pumps
-SKIMMER: Torn between Vertex 150/180i, Aquamaxx CO-1, or an oversized Skimz. (Opinions Welcome!)
-RETURN PUMP: Jeboa DC-6000/9000
-HEATER (2) Finnex 250W or 500W
-FILTER SOCKS
-PUMPS: (2) MP10's. Might get more as needed.
-REACTORS: GFO in a BRS/2 LitteFishes, also thinking of running BioPellets for the first time as wel.

Ross33
04/29/2016, 10:35 PM
I have a similar set up, 65g with a trigger systems sump. I also built a custom stand to fit the sump, 5 gallon ATO, etc. I'm running a mag 9.5 return and 2 mp10s plus an mp 40 for flow. I run 3 brs dosing pumps for calcium, alk, and mag. I would recommend making the stand as big as possible on the inside and plan for cable management.

russ13
04/30/2016, 03:19 AM
When it comes to a sump if feel bigger is always better. You will save some money using the 40 gallon breeder but the trigger sumps are so nice. You may also want to check out advanced acrylics they make some great stuff. I didn't see an ATO unit on your list. They're a big help in keeping the salinity level stable. I run mine with kalkwasser. It looks like you're on your way to a great SPS tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triggerjay
05/01/2016, 07:32 PM
I have the jeabo 4 head dosing pump. I dose esv-bionic on two heads, and use a spare for ATO from a 5g ATO bucket. My tank is a 65g with a 10g sump, but I have an oversize stand and have a 40 breeder I just need to put baffles in and I will be switching it out. Right now I have twin Wp-25's and a gyre 130 for flow (waiting on impellers for it currently). I have a bubble magus curve 5 skimmer, and dose prodibio. Pretty happy with my setup as it works well.

DylansGolden
05/04/2016, 01:06 PM
When it comes to a sump if feel bigger is always better. You will save some money using the 40 gallon breeder but the trigger sumps are so nice. You may also want to check out advanced acrylics they make some great stuff. I didn't see an ATO unit on your list. They're a big help in keeping the salinity level stable. I run mine with kalkwasser. It looks like you're on your way to a great SPS tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left that part out, I'll have a Tunze ATO and I also run a low Kalk dose in my ATO for pH benefits and to somewhat supply. I use BRS 2-part to dose with.

I decided on going with the Trigger Ruby 20C sump due to that fact I'll be using the stand that comes with the tank. I'll also be getting a Ecotech Vectra L1 return pump. Found a really good deal on a brand new one and I could use that pump once I eventually upgrade to a bigger tank.